Conflicting Ammonia Results

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Dr. Tim's. My tank is bare bottom/dry rock so a longer cycle is what I anticipated. Is 14 days still too long for bb/dryrock?
For Biospira with nothing but Instant Ocean, 0.5 ppm NH4+ is consumed in about 24 hr. If I knew how to search this sight efficiently, it would be informative to see if there is a tendency in posts about slow cycling to be associated with Dr. Tim’s.

Anyway, 14 days seems unusually long to drive total ammonia to zero.

huntersrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my tank and I’m on day 14. My seachem reads 0.05ppm ammonia but my API reads 1.5ppm. What should I believe?

5F1AAC9E-DDBB-4DEA-92DD-801264E99E47.jpeg 7378D50C-AAC4-43DB-9F34-E0CEEF4F425F.jpeg
The API ammonia kits are notorious for reading high, I had the same problem when I first got into reefing, I suggest buying a different ammonia kit that will give you a more accurate reading!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Biospira with nothing but Instant Ocean, 0.5 ppm NH4+ is consumed in about 24 hr. If I knew how to search this sight efficiently, it would be informative to see if there is a tendency in posts about slow cycling to be associated with Dr. Tim’s.

Anyway, 14 days seems unusually long to drive total ammonia to zero.
The op used 5 drops per gallon which makes a concentration of 5.25 ppm initial dose. Dr.Tim’s advices to not to go over the concentration of 5ppm. Am not sure on what is the reason but the overdosed in ammonia could cause some bad effect on the bacteria.

OP
OP
RoseQuatics

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op used 5 drops per gallon which makes a concentration of 5.25 ppm initial dose. Dr.Tim’s advices to not to go over the concentration of 5ppm. Am not sure on what is the reason but the overdosed in ammonia could cause some bad effect on the bacteria.
4 drops per gallon which followed the Ammonia Chloride instructions. I tested the ammonia day 1 and it was at 2ppm. Let's say hypothetically I did get the ammonia to 5ppm what happens? Bacteria die? Cycle stalled? According to my most recent results ammonia is at roughly 1ppm so the bacteria are indeed consuming the ammonia so I don't think the cycle has stalled completely - I just think my tank was very sterile to begin with and it simple takes more time than cycling with live rock/live sand.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RoseQ

Remember two different modes of cycling exist

they carry the same intended start bioload, regardless of what method is chosen. you are not required to wait out the full timeframe for wastewater and all its variables to clear, that's the old way. it's an option, but it's the old way and isn't required.

Option one: allow mixed wastewater to fully degrade, wait weeks for an open- ended ready date to arrive

option two: use the exact start date option cycle controllers use which carries the same # of fish as option one…go a few days past the ammonia drop date on a cycling chart. Change out the water, and the system will be cycled leaving a fully working bioslick filter base behind... you can opt out of waiting for wastewater to process (into algae fuel) internally. the prior link shows a tank in a claimed overdose stall stocked with life after one water change.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 5 vs 5.25 is a minimal difference we can ignore. I favor the explanation that the bottled bacteria is the problem. This is not the first time Dr. Tim’s bacteria is associated with a slow cycling process on this forum.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 drops per gallon which followed the Ammonia Chloride instructions. I tested the ammonia day 1 and it was at 2ppm. Let's say hypothetically I did get the ammonia to 5ppm what happens? Bacteria die? Cycle stalled? According to my most recent results ammonia is at roughly 1ppm so the bacteria are indeed consuming the ammonia so I don't think the cycle has stalled completely - I just think my tank was very sterile to begin with and it simple takes more time than cycling with live rock/live sand.
You mentioned earlier that you have a 120 and dosed enough for a 150 that’s 120 drops different making a overhaul 5 drops per gallon. Me and some other tested that 4 drops of dr.Tim’s comes to a concentration of 4.2 per 4 drops per gallon. Am not sure if the effects although dr.Tim’s pdf says not to exceed ppm

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 5 vs 5.25 is a minimal difference we can ignore. I favor the explanation that the bottled bacteria is the problem. This is not the first time Dr. Tim’s bacteria is associated with a slow cycling process on this forum.
I’m just going from dr.Tim’s pdf that mentioned not to exceed a 5ppm concentration, must be a reason why that am not aware at the moment

OP
OP
RoseQuatics

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned earlier that you have a 120 and dosed enough for a 150 that’s 120 drops different making a overhaul 5 drops per gallon. Me and some other tested that 4 drops of dr.Tim’s comes to a concentration of 4.2 per 4 drops per gallon. Am not sure if the effects although dr.Tim’s pdf says not to exceed ppm
My dosing to 150 gallons was referencing Dr. Tim's bacteria not Ammonia Chloride.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back