Confused about UV lighting

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Prime 16 HD that has UV lighting on it. Right now I'm feeding some bacteria to my tank every day to help with my ammonia issues and it says to turn off UV sterilization. Does that mean I should turn off my UV channel during this period or is UV lighting and UV sterilization different things?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question. I just couldn't find anything on UV lighting and beneficial bacteria, only UV sterilization, which like I said, don't know if it's the same thing.

Thanks fellow reefers!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is regarding an external UV sterilizer unit if you utilize one.
Does not pertain to lighting

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a really dumb question. I just couldn't find anything on UV lighting and beneficial bacteria, only UV sterilization, which like I said, don't know if it's the same thing.

It's not the UV wavelengths that sterilize (mostly UV-C). If it was it would be a serious eye hazard.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to help: you don’t have ammonia issues

your test kit instructions show something called a tan conversion that’s required, you’re reacting to readings before that conversion

once converted, you’re safe because the converted readings wouldn’t be zero, they’d be above zero. The old rules that said reef tanks run at zero are wrong, designed to sell people bottle bac when it’s not needed, and that works.

you are free to never add bacteria again to your reef and it’ll work great. It will help you to know that .2 is what red sea reads on thousands of fully running matured reefs I have examples handy for the proofing

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to stem the fish loss, you’d need to follow tank prep specifics from the fish disease forum, it’s not ammonia as the cause.

a secondary bad effect from all of us being taught incorrect cycling science by bottle bac sellers was we remove all focus on disease preps, hyperfocus on cycling tests, and fish die.

for a quick easy instant tuneup, post a picture of your reef when lights come on today and we can ease cycling concerns mighty fast.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back