Confused on cycle

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is currently in the cycle. What confused me is my nitrites are high and nitrates are going down. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you developing algae, or have any form of algae export going?

0a4bdab2437de7db2491e2ccd91074f7.jpg

I have this on my sand and rocks

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're in the middle of getting things established, just needs more time. Did you have a high ammonia content when it started? The algae is just the start of a Diatom bloom it's normal in new systems, that should also die off once things level out.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0a4bdab2437de7db2491e2ccd91074f7.jpg

I have this on my sand and rocks

That looks like the beginnings of diatoms, which would be expected (and are a good sign) in your ongoing establishment of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle.

Tell us about the tank and setup? Size? Sump (yes/no) How did you start the cycle?

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal, just be patient. When the diatoms (brownish goo) disappear, you'll get green algae. At that point, or soon thereafter you should have 0 nitrites or ammonia, and your nitrates will begin to rise. I recommend adding snails and hermits at that point, and waiting until all the green algae is gone before you begin adding fish and coral. Then just start SLOWLY adding stuff in the beginning... like 1 fish every two weeks.

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're in the middle of getting things established, just needs more time. Did you have a high ammonia content when it started? The algae is just the start of a Diatom bloom it's normal in new systems, that should also die off once things level out.

Ammonia has been at 0 for a while

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like the beginnings of diatoms, which would be expected (and are a good sign) in your ongoing establishment of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle.

Tell us about the tank and setup? Size? Sump (yes/no) How did you start the cycle?

220 gallon yes there is a sump. Started it with shrimp

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 gallon yes there is a sump. Started it with shrimp

I was hoping others who are better at the chemistry side of things would chime in here... Generally you want to keep going until nitrites are gone. I am not really sure why nitrates would drop unless something (algae, etccc) was using it up. I know as soon as I put chaeto in my sump with lights, my nitrates started falling fast...

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back