connected tanks

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup is no different than 1 mixed reef, except you get to have a sand bed in the lps tank with reduced flow; the idea, or at least my idea is to have both types of tanks without compromising on light, flow, ect...all in the same footprint (except the sump) because i have space limitations..

cool I am excited to see this come together. a few years ago I have a 75 and the plan was to connect a 40B Macro display fuge right next to it but we moved before I got that up .

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had it to do all over again from scratch, I might have considered a custom built 12 foot shallow raceway frag tank with a closed loop flow system and one enormous sump. But I kinda got into the frag stuff incrementally. Started with a 40B and a 20G sump, added an 80 shallow, then another 40G sump and another 80 shallow to reach 260G volume.

But this allows me to run 2 SPS (high light, high flow) tanks and one smaller LPS/SPS quarantine all on one water system and APEX system. Yeah, I have a lot of wiring and extra equipment, but that redundancy has been helpful a few times.

A picture of the whole, the "bridge" and the flow diagram.

IMG-4300.jpg IMG-4301.jpg
1580079481653.png

oh may I would love a 12' tank I keep dreaming about a butterfly, angel and tank tank...someday.
totally make since how and why you did it the way you did. looks like you have a frag problem I know a tank you could add em too ;)

OP
OP
Wantsomemora Acrapora

Wantsomemora Acrapora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use check valves, and i also tested the back flow into the sump a few times to make sure it would handle it. I also put ball valves on ever return and drain in case of an emergency so i could shut everything down from everywhere if i needed too. It fills back up about 1.5" below the top of the sump. Also need to remember to turn your skimmer off before shutting down feed pumps and i have it on 15 min delay with apex if power is lost to give the sump plenty of time to empty to normal level but it only takes about a min.
That looks absolutely complicated. I'm gonna have to do some diagramming. Great pointers, thank you.
As long as they all feed in the sump and that sump can handle.the backsyphone is flownisnturned off without flooding u will be ok. Mine was designed for 3 tanks and I added a small cube after and it could handle it but water is very close to the top. As I'm adding 2 more tanks I just decided to add one more sump at same height as mine and to connect to my sump. I can use that sump as an additional tank, or more sump space or just a frag tank.
With all those tanks how do you handle humidity?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 inch turbine and few small windows (home.is on a cliff so basement is vented from2 sides and a dehumidifier and periodic run of exhaust fan in winter.

Frey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood stove in winter drys it out. Fans in windows in summer and dehumidifier

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back