Connecting CO2 scrubber to skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbleoh7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dbleoh7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2019
Messages
225
Reaction score
68
Location
Florida Panhandle
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the BulkReefSupply CO2 scrubber to attach to my Bubble Magus skimmer but the tubing is too big to attach to the intake of the skimmer without a big leak. Pic below. How are you all connecting it?

IMG_5712.jpg
 
Guys, excuse me for asking here. What is a CO2 scrubber? Is it a special scrubber? Where can I read about it? I can't find any information on it.
 
Guys, excuse me for asking here. What is a CO2 scrubber? Is it a special scrubber? Where can I read about it? I can't find any information on it.
It's a device filled with CO2 absorbing media, that removes CO2 from the air that you're feeding to the skimmer.

It is used if the air in the room contains a high level of CO2 which causes tank pH to drop. By removing the CO2 you raise the pH in the tank which increases coral growth.
 
Guys, excuse me for asking here. What is a CO2 scrubber? Is it a special scrubber? Where can I read about it? I can't find any information on it.
I've attached a photo of what mine looks like below.
It's the cannister on the bottom.

The clear tube is the intake which is where air from the room gets sucked in.
The brown tube has the air with CO2 removed.

In my case that feeds into an Ozone generator, and the output of the Ozone generator feeds into the skimmer air inlet.

IMG_3105.jpeg
 
You should be able connect it directly without using the muffler
It still doesn't have a tight fit... Any ideas on how to get it to fit? I'm assuming Home Depot or something would have an adapter...?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5713.jpg
    IMG_5713.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 252
Guys, excuse me for asking here. What is a CO2 scrubber? Is it a special scrubber? Where can I read about it? I can't find any information on it.
Its a unit that looks like a reacor and uses special media for absorption.
See you tube videos to see one in action
 
Remove the silencer line and attach the tube running from the scrubber directly to the skimmer venturi
The tubing is too big to fit on where the silencer line was(pic)... Would it be ok to just put the tubing into the big Venturi hole like in the picture?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 232
The tubing is too big to fit on where the silencer line was(pic)... Would it be ok to just put the tubing into the big Venturi hole like in the picture?

That's not the water inlet, right?

You can't plug the water inlet.
 
Since the tubing doesn't fit, I ended up just taking the two tubings (tubing from CO2 scrubber and tubing from smaller air Venturi line) and putting the smaller one pretty deep into the larger one. It's a pretty tight fit, but definitely not air tight, so I put joining area under water so it's forced to pull air from the CO2 scrubber. It made sense to me so it should work right?

IMG_5723.jpg IMG_5724.jpg
 
Must be. I experimented with putting the CO2 scrubber line in there and it did not work. Go figure haha.
Might be able to find a double ended hose barb at menards or online that reduces the line from the scrubber to the size you need for the venturi. This is going to be your best option to assure no leaks.
 
I've attached a photo of what mine looks like below.
It's the cannister on the bottom.

The clear tube is the intake which is where air from the room gets sucked in.
The brown tube has the air with CO2 removed.

In my case that feeds into an Ozone generator, and the output of the Ozone generator feeds into the skimmer air inlet.

IMG_3105.jpeg
Just curious do you monitor the O3? Or do it old school with the sniff test?
 
Just curious do you monitor the O3? Or do it old school with the sniff test?
The ozone is controlled by an ORP probe. It only runs at night, and turns off if the ORP goes over 375.

If I can smell it, time to change the carbon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new