Connecting External Return Pump to Sump and Return Lines

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got a little giant return pump, it's external, the sump is already drilled with a 1.75" hole for a 1" bulkhead. But some questions to how I should go about this. I don't recall what the flow rate is, as I bought it used, but the guy had it on a similar size tank to mine (230gal)

I only have 16" of space between the sump and side of the stand, which would leave me 4" for plumbing. I'm guessing I'll have to use an elbow to put the pump alongside the end of the sump. Would this impact the rate of flow at all?

Another question would be, if I am doing that, should I extend the line to put the pump far enough back the vertical line just goes straight up to eliminate any extra bends in the line?

It's probably a good idea to add unions for easy removal of the return pump if necessary?

The return fitting on the pump has an ID of 0.75", but is extra thick so a 1" PVC adapter threads onto it. Is it fine to keep using 1" line, or should I reduce it to 0.75?

I remember reading something somewhere about using a length of flexible tubing to go from the pump to return line to reduce noise? Is that true, if so, what do I need to do that, or is it even a good idea?

DSC_2877.JPG

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flex pvc tubing is called spaflex you can get it easy and cheap on ebay.

For the return, 90s are minimal flow loss IMO. But i would keep it level with the vertical run first.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I did it.
JPEG image 2.jpeg

That is exactly what I was picturing in my mind. From the sump to the pump would be a bit longer, but exactly that.

I would use what ever reliably threads onto it. 1" isnt bad. 3/4 is better though if youre under 150g.

It's a 230 gallon.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4” should be plenty for the plumbing. Just reverse the bulkhead and use a 1” union. If the pump needs to be removed for service, just thread a 1” plug into the in sump end of the bulkhead. I’ve done this a bunch of times.

Not entirely sure I follow the logic of going down from the native output of the pump. I cannot tell what little giant model that is, but if the pressure output takes a 1” threaded adapter stick with 1” all the way to the tank. If you need to throttle the pump at all, use a good quality ball valve (not a gate valve),

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite conveniently, the bulkhead is also 1". None on the tank for returns, I'm just running the return line up and over the rim
Ahh. Imo I would consider drilling if thats an option.
Do you have a plumbing plan for the U return?
I used a couple fittings from HD and plugged s locline into it at the waterline. Ill post a pic.
Bettee than the premade Us with the barb IMO.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. Imo I would consider drilling if thats an option.
Do you have a plumbing plan for the U return?
I used a couple fittings from HD and plugged s locline into it at the waterline. Ill post a pic.
Bettee than the premade Us with the barb IMO.

Definitely no drilling. Don't have the tools, and I certainly cannot risk cracking the glass. I was going to use some loc line, but I can't find it any larger than 3/4".

4” should be plenty for the plumbing. Just reverse the bulkhead and use a 1” union. If the pump needs to be removed for service, just thread a 1” plug into the in sump end of the bulkhead. I’ve done this a bunch of times.

Not entirely sure I follow the logic of going down from the native output of the pump. I cannot tell what little giant model that is, but if the pressure output takes a 1” threaded adapter stick with 1” all the way to the tank. If you need to throttle the pump at all, use a good quality ball valve (not a gate valve),

If I reversed the bulkhead, the gasket still goes on the wet side of the sump, correct?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics.
Wish i did it in sch 80 lol.
Oh well.
New build is gonna be way better.

Attachments

• 20210302_173623.jpg
    20210302_173623.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210302_173627.jpg
    20210302_173627.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210302_173645.jpg
    20210302_173645.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 50

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1/2" locline. They make it. U might have to order it. U have the basic black rim tank?
I always did up and over returns like ur talking with a 45 back into the tank. It works. Not the appealing to some but deff works.
D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no drilling. Don't have the tools, and I certainly cannot risk cracking the glass. I was going to use some loc line, but I can't find it any larger than 3/4".

If I reversed the bulkhead, the gasket still goes on the wet side of the sump, correct?
Skip the loc line, it’s the most overused ‘bad’ idea in the hobby. Trades off volume for velocity. Kinda pointless IMO. That LG pump is likely their circulation model (versus pressure) so it’s not going like restrictions.

Bulkhead gasket always goes on the flange side, whether it’s inside the sump or outside.

Use black pvc to go over the rim and you’ll barely notice it. There are disadvantages to a drilled return anyhow (I don’t do it).

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you run the pump before hooking it up to your tank? I went through all the work got my Little Giant hooked up and turned it on, and boy was if extremely loud, my wife looked at me NO.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you run the pump before hooking it up to your tank? I went through all the work got my Little Giant hooked up and turned it on, and boy was if extremely loud, my wife looked at me NO.

I have. It was fairly quiet. Not absolutely silent, but well within my tolerance. Nobody else around to complain.

Skip the loc line, it’s the most overused ‘bad’ idea in the hobby. Trades off volume for velocity. Kinda pointless IMO. That LG pump is likely their circulation model (versus pressure) so it’s not going like restrictions.

Bulkhead gasket always goes on the flange side, whether it’s inside the sump or outside.

Use black pvc to go over the rim and you’ll barely notice it. There are disadvantages to a drilled return anyhow (I don’t do it).

I feel like I should have some sort of nozzle on it. I have an eel, and I don't want him to go down there, as unlikely as it may be. I also have never seen black pvc besides bulkheads, but that would be awesome as it has a black rim.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Black PVC at BRS.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, noticed you were in Canada...not sure if BRS is available there or not?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, noticed you were in Canada...not sure if BRS is available there or not?

No. Well, I could pay the extra shipping and import, assuming they ship internationally.

It's not such a big deal for the most part as the top of the tank is several inches above my eye level. With the back panel painted, I doubt I'd see it besides maintenance and feeding.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Black PVC at BRS.

The fitting part is the issue. I know formufit has black fittings though....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back