Connecting Multiple 10g tanks

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Now! im looking to connect 4 ten gallon tank together, but im not sure how i should go about doing this. Should i drill the sides out of all, connecting to a common sump or is there a better way to do this? Im looking to breed Banggai cardinalfish. I currently have a pair thats consistently spawning, so what i want to do is have 2 tanks for pairs, 1 for the pair i have now and 1 for a future pair and then two tanks that will serve as growout tanks for the babies. Anyone have a good design for me ? Also, im open to suggestions... Thanks

Last edited:

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out when connecting 10 gallon tanks all together, any small stress will crack the glass on any 10 gallon tank with bulkheads, i would install bulkhead and drain into a 3inch drain but not hard plumbed, rather with a hose connected to an elbow and put hose in actual hose into the drain..... just fyi so you dont waste any money on tanks!!

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gaita do you have a pick of your drains im getting rady to put 5 10 gallon tanks together i was going to hardpipe all of them together but after reading this im not goin to

Fish Hoarder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use two 20 longs instead and put a baffle in the middle of each creating 2 ten gallon sections in each. It would be much safer to drill the thicker glass.

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I would do it hope it helps

Tank by matsinger2, on Flickr

So from looking at your design there it appears that you drilled the tanks, is that right? If so, any problem?

@oceancube- i dont understand. Are you saying to drill it, but to just use flexable tubing instead of hard pvc? If your talking about not drilling them, i definitely dont understand, can you elaberate? also if you've used this method, and have pics, please post... thanks to everyones replies

D.G

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I might of been a little unclear I do not have that system first hand that is just how I would do it. I have never tried to drill one and was not await how fragil they are or if there is any truth behind that. I mean drill one if it reads what that was only five bucks?

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I might of been a little unclear I do not have that system first hand that is just how I would do it. I have never tried to drill one and was not await how fragil they are or if there is any truth behind that. I mean drill one if it reads what that was only five bucks?

Well its not so much the $5-10, its mostly my time i wanna save.

Fish Hoarder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass on ten gallon tanks is just too thin in my opinion. You could successfully drill them, but any little bump and the glass will crack.

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drain
no physical connection. just 1" soft tubing in a 3" pipe with t's every 9" if i remember correctly
i set up a jig and drilled each tank in the exact same place so i could build the drains separately and know everything would be ok
DSC_0039.jpg

Last edited:

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to drill a ten because all the one I have had were tempered glass. Either way I want to see pics. Lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back