Consider offering 1/4" black netting for DIY tops?

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by DarkSky, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky Well-Known Member

This is BRS' sponsor forum - you came into a thread where we asked them to carry a product and started trolling and calling their business unethical. Please understand the difference.

Johnnynle, OneFish, Cyricdark and 7 others like this.

2. hart24601

hart24601 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would love to see BRS test and offer black netting too!

3. Act1n1c_L1fe

Act1n1c_L1fe Active Member

+1

DarkSky, OneFish and Cyricdark like this.
  4. Act1n1c_L1fe

5. Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Sponsor 2019

We're going to get a few product samples from our current suppliers to check it out. Assuming the quality is there, I don't see why we wouldn't bring it in :)

RIreefGuy and DarkSky like this.
  6. hart24601

Yay!!!

DarkSky likes this.
  7. Act1n1c_L1fe

Sweet! I Weill definitely be buying some if you guys start selling. I hate the glare my clear netting makes

DarkSky and Raptor72 like this.
  8. Cyricdark

Cyricdark Active Member

Apparently you've never had a business ethics class Bulk Reef supply is about as ethical as any profitable business can be and still keep their doors open. With regards to this netting you've not considered the value added to it by BRS. I turn around and order black netting off Amazon maybe it's reef safe, maybe it's not, maybe the first time I ordered it is, maybe the second time I order it six months later it's not cuz that's not the purpose for which it's being sold so the manufacturer isn't going to care. If BRS sources it for us they're going to make sure it's made out of something that's reef safe they're going to make sure it's durable, and in general confirm that it's suited for the purposes that we want it for, and they're going to continue to make sure by letting that manufacture know" hey we're buying this very large quantity of this from you and it needs to be absolutely made this way because we're putting it in reef tanks. " and most importantly if they screw up on any of those things they're going to make it right with a warranty. With all that value-added they'd better charge a lot more than double or it won't be worth their time.

9. wareagle

wareagle Member

Comparing an actual legal business that has massive expenses, taxes, insurance, rules and regulations, etc to some guy selling netting on Amazon is ridiculous, and you calling them unethical is even more ridiculous.

10. Act1n1c_L1fe

will you guys be selling by the foot?

11. Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Sponsor 2019

They'll most likely be available in sizes similar to our current clear netting. We've decided to carry it, now just have to get everything set up with our supplier, on the website, etc :) I for one will be swapping my clear netting out after seeing how nice the black looks!

Raptor72 likes this.
  12. Act1n1c_L1fe

Good to hear! I will for sure be placing an order when it goes online!!!

Bulk Reef Supply likes this.
  13. trmiv

trmiv Active Member R2R Supporter

Need to get some new screen for my top. Any idea when you guys may have this stuff on the site?

DarkSky and Cyricdark like this.
  14. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Waiting for this too. About to build a new screen top and I'd much prefer to put black netting in from the start.

15. Bulk Reef Supply

I just spoke with our purchasing team about your question and they estimated between 2 and 3 weeks from now we'll have it here and ready to go on the website.

trmiv, Raptor72 and Cyricdark like this.
  16. cromag27

cromag27 octoaquatics.com - acrylic & anemone god R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Toys For Kids Sponsor 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

i’ve used the black netting for my lids in the past, but it’s been several years. it just never really caught on as a trend. glad to see it may becoming more popular now. the stuff most people see is usually called deer/rabbit/pond netting and it’s a different material, which is a different thickness from the clear netting. not sure this would affect most applications, it something to be aware of.

also be aware that black will show more salt creep than clear.

i’m interested to see what material brs has sourced. and if my customers start requesting it again, i’ll buy it from brs!!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    hart24601 likes this.
  17. hatfielj

hatfielj Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't understand why people would need to order this stuff online. Lowes and Home Depot sell massive quantities of it for very cheap. 7' x 100' roll for 19.99 and you could drive and get it right now:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-...Garden-Hardware-Cloth-Rolled-Fencing/50119481
    That's all the netting you'll ever need for your current tanks and any additional tanks. Share with your friends if you don't need it all.

18. trmiv

trmiv Active Member R2R Supporter

That netting is from Lowes probably fine if you've got big fish, but it's 3/4" mesh, which isn't going to work with small fish. The netting we're talking about has 1/4" mesh like the clear netting. You can get it on Amazon but in huge rolls for $70, but people don't want to buy huge roles, so we're wanting BRS to carry the smaller sizes we need.

19. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

While very true the netting I got that was supposed to let a lot of sun in the brite netting I believe it was called removed 175-200 par so Brs removes roughly 25 I’ll go with Brs

20. hart24601

I am pretty excited to have this option....

Cyricdark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted