Considering adding a pipe fish to a heavily stocked nano

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon display tank. This is my first saltwater tank, but it's been going well. My LFS just got some really cool pipe-fish in. My reefing buddies and LFS owner ( I trust both quite a bit ) are encouraging me it'd be a great fish in my community, but I'm not sold. Open to opinions.

Fish :
Bonded pair Ocellaris
Bonded pair Mandarins
Baby Foxface Lo 2"
Orange Spotted Goby

A bit more info about the mandarins. They were purchased 8 weeks ago from Live Aquaria un-bonded after extensive research and preperation. I cultivate them Tsibe pods, rotifers, and baby brine shrimp loaded with phyto. They also were accepting enriched frozen brine and mysis day three. When they arrived, the female was extremely skinny, but has put on considerable weight in our short time together. I've got such an abundance of pods I'm trading jars for frags, more concerned with the Pipefish being bullied than hungry.

Thanks in advance!
Harry

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2D41CF4-EBFB-4B3F-AD54-20D266820C7F.jpeg
E8EBAFEC-D01F-4F41-A2E7-CE3900D8FA16.jpeg
CF8A5781-50E2-472D-B90D-76AB77B92979.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll bump this for someone with more experience than me with pipefish, but I think it'll work as long as you've got the food issue covered

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon display tank. This is my first saltwater tank, but it's been going well. My LFS just got some really cool pipe-fish in. My reefing buddies and LFS owner ( I trust both quite a bit ) are encouraging me it'd be a great fish in my community, but I'm not sold. Open to opinions.

Fish :
Bonded pair Ocellaris
Bonded pair Mandarins
Baby Foxface Lo 2"
Orange Spotted Goby

A bit more info about the mandarins. They were purchased 8 weeks ago from Live Aquaria un-bonded after extensive research and preperation. I cultivate them Tsibe pods, rotifers, and baby brine shrimp loaded with phyto. They also were accepting enriched frozen brine and mysis day three. When they arrived, the female was extremely skinny, but has put on considerable weight in our short time together. I've got such an abundance of pods I'm trading jars for frags, more concerned with the Pipefish being bullied than hungry.

Thanks in advance!
Harry
Hey there Harry! My first concern would be the foxface. I had one in my reef and he could be a bit aggressive at times. Plus, he is going to out grow your tank very quickly. Clowns especially bonded pairs can be territorial as well. I don't have pipes at the moment but I do keep seahorses which are the same family. Personally, I wouldn't add pipes with that mixture and bioload but others may disagree. Good luck!

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn t add more fishs than a pair of clowns alone in that tank personally...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back