Considering starting a Seahorse tank - Help

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I have been considering starting a seahorse tank. I love the way they look and interact and want to do something a little different than my normal reef tanks. I don't have room for large tanks in the house so I am having to make do with my nanos, but am loving every bit of it. Here is a list of what I have available to do this tank with, please let me know if any of this you do not recommend...

40g breeder
20 Long Sump w/refugium
45lb dry sand - just some i bought and didnt use, maybe 2 months old
24'' 4 Bulb T5 light
200w heater - also have 2 150w's i could swap with other tanks
red sea prizm HOB skimmer to put in sump - rated at 75g
4 Koralias - 425gph each
return pump, forget size. I had it on a 20g frag tank with 30g sump.

My house is keep pretty steady between 68-72*. Would you still think a chiller is needed? Also, I like the eshopps overflow boxes, could I use that and put mesh over it to keep from loosing the seahorses. Also, I'm wanting the larger seahorses, not the dwarfs. Would this tank be good for say 2 pairs? I know a seahorse tank needs to be really steady before adding the livestock, would 6 months be enough time to allow for a maturing stage? Would you recommend a GFO reactor? I use them on my other tanks with great results. I am planning on going with live hitches. Gorgonias, sponges, etc. Any help with my ignorance is greatly appreciated and happy reefing!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good plan. I would not run GFO. Seahorses are sensitive to ferric oxide. I would make sure the temp is stable and run the heater with a controller. I would have a chiller just in case. This way it can be an insurance policy ensuring the temp remains steady and below 75. Two pair would be great in a 40 breeder.

Good luck!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I was unaware of the sensitivity to ferric oxide. Great info!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure the sand is fine, as course sand can get lodged deep in the seahorse's mouth. Also, make sure there isn't too much current, so no power heads unless it is very gentle and the seahorses can't get sucked into them or get blown across the tank. And sponges are very difficult to keep fed in a small seahorse tank, so I would stay away from them as a hold.

Brent \><{{{{*>

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure the sand is fine, as course sand can get lodged deep in the seahorse's mouth. Also, make sure there isn't too much current, so no power heads unless it is very gentle and the seahorses can't get sucked into them or get blown across the tank. And sponges are very difficult to keep fed in a small seahorse tank, so I would stay away from them as a hold.

Brent \><{{{{*>

My seahorses do well with some flow. I recommend using open ended airline tubing. They seem to play in the bubbles and enjoy riding the current from the filter.

MandarinGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sounds good, I think you can put 2 pairs in there, I love gorgonians and sponges just ask if you have any more questions.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back