Garden eel and seahorse tank

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have u had the garden eels? how deep is the sandbed? Are those lots of nassarius I see? What would u recommend for others looking to keep a similar aquarium?

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have u had the garden eels? how deep is the sandbed? Are those lots of nassarius I see? What would u recommend for others looking to keep a similar aquarium?
Hi I’ve had them for 6 months now. The small snails you see are marginella, and I also have a strawberry conch in there I would recommend a very deep sand bed like mine. It’s 5” at the front and slopes to about 9” towards the back. A good filter with regular water changes. Lots of snails to eat left over food and a controlled water flow from one side to the other so their food stays suspended. A fast growing macro algae helps to keep phosphates etc under control and I always run carbon and a water polisher (chemipure elite). I recommend very gentle docile fish like seahorses, pipefish etc because the eels are quite shy but they get used to slow swimmers quickly.

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my dream fish... how deep is the sandbed? Do you have a below-sandbed filtration system?
Hi the sand bed is 5” at the front and slopes up to 9” towards the back. The only filtration I have is a canister filter designed for a 75 gallon tank (this tank is 45 gallon). I clean the filter when it’s time to change the carbon and water polisher (chemipure elite) I also do regular water changes I’ve had much success with this canister filter, I use the same kind for my 54 gallon reef tank too

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back