Tank #3. Of course it’s eels and seahorses

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been a member for 3+ years and somehow this is my first build thread. I’m showing off my latest tank that I’ve had set up for about 11 months now. There are no corals because I am more focused on keeping up with the thick plants and deep sand bed for the seahorses and garden eels. The seahorses love exploring the dense plants and looking for any snacks. The sand bed is about 5 inches deep in the front and slopes up to 9 inches in the back for the eels. I currently have 5 garden eels who have established their own little territories and two female seahorses. On Thursday I have two lined seahorses arriving (so excited!)….. Strawberry conch snails are my favourite, so I have one in this tank as well as my other reef tank. I have recently found some MASSIVE bristle worms hiding in the sand and not sure about keeping the XL ones or not…. This is my first species focused tank in a long time, so I’m glad it’s all going smoothly now that it’s settled in. A couple pics show the ugly phase and my trial and error with macros. But I got there eventually :)

IMG_2838.jpeg

IMG_0311.jpeg IMG_0295.jpeg IMG_0297.jpeg IMG_9872.jpeg IMG_9869.jpeg IMG_9879.jpeg IMG_9041.jpeg IMG_8960.jpeg IMG_8795.jpeg IMG_8556.jpeg IMG_8959.jpeg IMG_9866.jpeg IMG_9857.jpeg

Last edited:

Monika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been a member for 3+ years and somehow this is my first build thread. I’m showing off my latest tank that I’ve had set up for about 11 months now. There are no corals because I am more focused on keeping up with the thick plants and deep sand bed for the seahorses and garden eels. The seahorses love exploring the dense plants and looking for any snacks. The sand bed is about 5 inches deep in the front and slopes up to 9 inches in the back for the eels. I currently have 5 garden eels who have established their own little territories and two female seahorses. On Thursday I have two lined seahorses arriving (so excited!)….. Strawberry conch snails are my favourite, so I have one in this tank as well as my other reef tank. I have recently found some MASSIVE bristle worms hiding in the sand and not sure about keeping the XL ones or not…. This is my first species focused tank in a long time, so I’m glad it’s all going smoothly now that it’s settled in. A couple pics show the ugly phase and my trial and error with macros. But I got there eventually :)

IMG_2838.jpeg

IMG_0311.jpeg IMG_0295.jpeg IMG_0297.jpeg IMG_9872.jpeg IMG_9869.jpeg IMG_9879.jpeg IMG_9041.jpeg IMG_8960.jpeg IMG_8795.jpeg IMG_8556.jpeg IMG_8959.jpeg IMG_9866.jpeg IMG_9857.jpeg
It’s pretty magical could watch it for hours

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
can you go over your setup or what you do to keep the garden eels? they seem to be immensely difficult to keep and you've clearly done a great job maintaining the tank!

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you go over your setup or what you do to keep the garden eels? they seem to be immensely difficult to keep and you've clearly done a great job maintaining the tank!
It’s a 45 gallon tank with a huge clean up crew of marginellla snails. They eat any left over food. I had to use a whole lot of sand to achieve the depth for them to really be comfortable. The macro algae in the picture grows and spreads really fast. I trim it and push it to the back of the tank weekly so that the eels have more room. I think having so much tall greenery gives them a sense of security. It took them a couple of months to be comfortable with popping their heads out of the sand in front of me. I stay consistent with feeding them 3 cubes of thoroughly rinsed mysis shrimp a day and sometimes feed them an extra 2 cubes in the evening. The conch snail helps to keep the sand bed clean. I vacuum the very top of the sand bed when I do weekly water changes (I’m very careful to not go too deep so I don’t disturb the eels too much). Underneath the tank I have a really good canister filter: Fluval 307 performance canister filter designed for aquariums up to 70 gallons. I service and clean out the filter whenever it’s time to replace the carbon and I use chemipure elite in all of my tanks to keep the water polished. The canister filter is the only piece of equipment I use to keep decent water flow. It is pointed from one end to the other and it does a great job keeping the food floating around for them to eat easily. The macro algae is full of copepods. I see the eels quickly eating them as they swim by all day long. I keep salinity at 1.022 and temperature at 72°F. I use instant ocean reef crystals.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I've always wanted garden eels. Years ago I set up a 90g with about 8" of sand specifically for them but I could never find a source. Eventually it became my nps coral tank and I think the deep sand bed helped with my nitrate levels n the entire set up. I had a lot of fish in the system that it was tied to.

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I've always wanted garden eels. Years ago I set up a 90g with about 8" of sand specifically for them but I could never find a source. Eventually it became my nps coral tank and I think the deep sand bed helped with my nitrate levels n the entire set up. I had a lot of fish in the system that it was tied to.
90 gallons is a dream size tank for me, the biggest one I have at the moment is 75 gallon. Maybe one day you’ll get some I was on a wait list for several places waiting for them to be back in stock. Took many months but finally got 5 from Violet Aquarium and they all survived

Gunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing set up. Ive been cycling my tank for about 8 weeks while i was waiting to get my eels. Well, today they arrived. I ordered 4 but received 7. Tank is a red sea reefer xl 200 with 200 lbs of sand. Nothing in the tank currently. I have a large colony of gorganian I might put in there until I find some macro/grass for the tank. Did they hide most of the time after introduction?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing set up. Ive been cycling my tank for about 8 weeks while i was waiting to get my eels. Well, today they arrived. I ordered 4 but received 7. Tank is a red sea reefer xl 200 with 200 lbs of sand. Nothing in the tank currently. I have a large colony of gorganian I might put in there until I find some macro/grass for the tank. Did they hide most of the time after introduction?
I've been on the hunt, where'd you order from?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back