Dwarf Seahorse “Planted” Pico Tank

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to my first pico tank build. I’m not new to the reef tank scene, but I’ve been wanting dwarf seahorses and a pico tank for quite sometime. I also grow my own phytoplankton, copepod cultures, and hatch baby brine shrimp… so I decided if I was already doing the work, why not pull the trigger?

I found a used Fluval Evo 5 for a killer deal, although I have to admit it has costed more than I anticipated to upgrade and get things going.

If you are interested in following along on various social media platforms (for extra pictures, videos, updates, etc.) here are links to follow/subscribe:

Equipment:
  • Fluval Evo 5 tank (used)
  • In tank filter rack
  • VCA random flow generator nozzle
  • Stock pump (may upgrade if needed)
  • Stock lighting - looking to upgrade.

Livestock (so far):
  • Real reef rock (dry)
  • Established rock from other tank (2 pieces)
  • Special Grade Caribsea sand (dry)
  • 4 dwarf seahorses
  • 2 dwarf pipefish
Here are the initial setup pics

DJI_20240106_130304_358.jpeg IMG_4091.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On Thursday I received my captive bred dwarf seahorse and pipefish. I’m still not 100% sure how to identify genders, but there are supposed to be equal female and males. It should be fun see if they have babies.

These things are cute and I have to admit, it’s gotten the most interaction and excitement from my family.. despite also having a 75 gallon mixed reef tank.

Also just pulled the trigger on a big order of macroalgae. Hoping I’m not jumping the gun and know what I’m doing, but this should be AWESOME!

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4158.jpeg
    IMG_4158.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what the tank is looking like. Don’t worry, those zip ties will come out once I get some macroalgae this week or next week and the seahorses have other things to grab onto.

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dwarf seahorses have been periodically getting stuck/sucked into the intake on the random flow generator. I called VCA and got an idea to use a sponge. Modified it and plan to post a quick video on social media for others.

Also got some filter floss to help them not get sucked into the overflow and added some matrix to the rear chamber.

Hopefully the seahorses are a little more safe exploring the tank.

IMG_4258.jpeg IMG_4256.jpeg DJI_20240116_204227_285.jpeg

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i saw your post and im planning on getting some as well, btw where did you get your dwarf seahorses/pipefish and your macro?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey i saw your post and im planning on getting some as well, btw where did you get your dwarf seahorses/pipefish and your macro?
i bought caprice bred from seahorsesavy.com. The macro (which hasn’t arrived yet-I think the package got lost) was from an Etsy shop called mosaic macros.

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought caprice bred from seahorsesavy.com. The macro (which hasn’t arrived yet-I think the package got lost) was from an Etsy shop called mosaic macros.
ahh ok thank you! can you tell me how the macros come in? also how are the dwarf seahorses? i want to order from seahorse savvy but they're a bit expensive.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ahh ok thank you! can you tell me how the macros come in? also how are the dwarf seahorses? i want to order from seahorse savvy but they're a bit expensive.
They are very pricey. I wanted captive bred because they tend to be healthier and “disease free” compared to the cheaper wild caught ones. I figured this gave me a better edge for my learning curve trying to take care of them with no seahorse experience.

Presently everyone is doing great, with the exception of one seahorse… it’s MIA going on day two right now… and can’t find it anywhere… in the tiny tank, the filtration, etc. No clean up crew in there yet so nothing ate it…

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updates: unfortunately one seahorse has been MIA for 3 days and another died (not sure why).. of course it was both males so now the two remaining can’t reproduce. So this is sad.

Getting the “new tank” diatoms in the sand.

Surprisingly the first macroalgae order had about half or so survive. They are supposed to send a replacement shipment next week. I got a little crazy and also ordered from another place and that arrives to. Never knew I’d get so excited about macroalgae and end up spending so much (not to mention have little space).

Here are some pics (one was before I got it all glued down).

Here is a quick video to see it:
Decorating my seahorse reef tank with algae.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpeg
    IMG_4329.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 57

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this is so rad! been thinking of having a small office tank, but i would get anxious thinking how the tank is doing while i'm home.

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sorry to hear about that:( btw how long has the tank been running before you added the seahorses? are you going to test the levels in the water?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im sorry to hear about that:( btw how long has the tank been running before you added the seahorses? are you going to test the levels in the water?
Yup, I’ve tested the water levels and it’s all come back fine. I’m wondering if I need to feed more volume… my first go at these critters.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a cool tank with those little guys!

thank you!

this is so rad! been thinking of having a small office tank, but i would get anxious thinking how the tank is doing while i'm home.
Hehe thanks, I will admit sometimes it can be distracting, but it’s been fun and I will admit, more relaxing to watch than my big tank (haven’t figured out why yet)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses. The macro is truly beautiful! I know we all have a learning curve when we try something new, I'm sure you'll make this great!

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses. The macro is truly beautiful! I know we all have a learning curve when we try something new, I'm sure you'll make this great!
Appreciate it. I have ordered three more seahorses that should come next week. Also should get my replacement package of algae next week also.

Update: I’ve been noticing the flow in this tiny tank is awful. The seahorses made it seem like it was good; however, now I have plants and a couple corals in it. I see the flow is lacking. The Fluval Evo 5 is incredibly challenging to find a pump that has great output but fits in the tiny chamber. Got a pump in mind but I gotta modify it to fit. I’m thinking now the seahorses have a lot more places to hitch, they should be okay with a little more flow also.

I did start dosing some chaetogro and iron to see if that would help some of the macroalgaes color up. The amount to dose is literally drops hehe, living life on the edge.

image.jpg image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back