Considering switching to Profilux from Apex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states but not sure which controller to buy particularly between the 4 and 4 E set. Don't really need the ORP but would like the Salinity. Trying to establish which is the most cost-effective. If I go with the 4E my understanding is that the difference between that and the 4 is that I will lose the Salinity and ORP and S Ports but not sure that I even need the latter. What are the S Ports for? Firstly is it more cost-effective to get 4 E and add salinity through expansion card and probe? Secondly, if I do do that does the salinity card and probe go next to the Temp and PH probes and still leave me with the spare two expansion cards. The difference in cost here in UK/Europe about £170/£180

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

The most cost effective option will depend on how you look at it.

Are you looking for immediate cost effectiveness?
If so, the P4e set would be the way to go.

Are you looking for long term cost effectiveness?
If yes, then the P4 set would be the best option since it offers the ports and probes you may want later down the road.

In terms of hardware differences, the P4e does not come with built-in redox, conductivity and S-ports. You could however add these ports later-on. This would involve nothing more than installing the expansion card that has the port(s) you want to add, then getting the matching probe. You would use up an expansion card slot in doing so. The S-ports can be used to control our legacy powerbars and dosing pump.

Features wise, both controller options offer the same functionality and control options.

From a cost standpoint, if you feel it's unlikely you'll want or need the redox and/or conductivity probe, the 4e would be the better option. If you think there's a high chance you will want those ports, not immediately, but later, the full P4 would give the best long-term cost effectiveness because piecing the parts to add the port and probe on a 4e would end up being more than the cost of a full P4 set.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Vinnie and thanks for your very prompt advice. From what you say I can’t see that I will need the S Ports because I don’t have any legacy GHL products. I think I will want the conductivity probe but probably not the redox. I am still confused regarding adding the conductivity card. Will this be used by one of the slots of the two on the right or will they still be available? Although cost is always important it is not the major consideration it is more about making sure I have only what I need. So are you saying that by adding the conductivity card and probe to the cost of the 4e will be more than the 4? Final question at least for now. Is there a combined conductivity and redox expansion card ? Many thanks

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding an expansion card will take up one of the two slots on the controller.
Yes.

Yes, that would be this card:
PL-0977 PLM-pH/Redox - Cond
The native pH port can be switched over to a Redox port and the conductivity port can be set to read freshwater or saltwater ranges.
1582054214107.png

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Vinnie thanks very much for your advice. Looks as if I want it just want the conductivity it is still more cost effective to go with the 4 rather than 4 e even though I definitely won’t need the S Ports and the redox Shame !!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at selling the ORP probe, it could cut that cost delta down. I did that with both my Apex probes when picking up the 2016 unit a few years ago.

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks now why didn’t I think of that. Yes I have done the same with Apex items. Not sure how strong the market would be here in UK for it though.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no idea on that one. Maybe check the waters on whatever regional media you're on and see if any bites first.

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I will go with the Profilux 4 Mega Set and either a SA Doser or the Slave and add the KH and ION Directors in due course with two slave dosers which I think will cover all my needs for measuring and dosing the respective requirements.

One thing I am not sure about is whether to get the SA doser initially or a slave. What are the benefits of the SA in the circumstances I have outlined above? I am sure I have read somewhere that if you connect a SA doser to a Profilux P4 controller making it a slave all the additional benefits of the SA are lost - is that correct?

If I am to add ATO with two sensors, Leak Detection and Ecotech Vectra and Vortech Pumps control to my initial purchase of the controller and doser what other parts will I require to make it all work?

Thanks in anticipation

Last edited:

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SA gets set to SL mode and as noted, any functionality provided by the SA is removed. The stirrer ports still work, but temp etc will not.

Vortech control is the only thing possible with the Ecotech module, vectra won't be happening.

kasso187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can’t use the slave doser without either an SA or Profilux. If you are planning to purchase in stages and the doser would be first, then you’d need the SA if you want to use it.

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can’t use the slave doser without either an SA or Profilux. If you are planning to purchase in stages and the doser would be first, then you’d need the SA if you want to use it.
Yes I understand that but thanks for telling me. If I go with either the slave or the SA I would get ProfiLux at the same time. Unless I am missing something I can’t see there is much point in buying the SA to just connect to the ProfiLux and loose all its additional functions. What do you think ?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $50 extra I would get the SA.
If your controller goes down you still have a working dosing pump. If you ever sell the system or upgrade to a newer pump the SA is used by non GHL controller owners for KH and ION director. A lot easier to sell.

kasso187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that but thanks for telling me. If I go with either the slave or the SA I would get ProfiLux at the same time. Unless I am missing something I can’t see there is much point in buying the SA to just connect to the ProfiLux and loose all its additional functions. What do you think ?

Ya that changes everything. if that’s the case, go for the profilux and slave unit. I ordered the stand alone because I want to try out the GHL environment before I switch out my apex

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $50 extra I would get the SA.
If your controller goes down you still have a working dosing pump. If you ever sell the system or upgrade to a newer pump the SA is used by non GHL controller owners for KH and ION director. A lot easier to sell.
Yes good advice. The same thoughts had crossed my mind. Thanks very much

OP
OP
mlandscape

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that changes everything. if that’s the case, go for the profilux and slave unit. I ordered the stand alone because I want to try out the GHL environment before I switch out my apex
Another good point. So did you just use the SA doser without the ProfiLux then before you made the switch. @robbyg advice makes sense as well so maybe I should just get the SA doser first and see where I go from there

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back