Constant diatoms

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by eddie.pr, Nov 7, 2017.

1. eddie.pr

eddie.pr New Member

I have a 90g mixed reef that is about 2 1/2 years old .for the past two months i have been experiencing diatoms on my sand and lately on my rock and back glass .i have not put anything new as equipment or any plastic materials . Just to make sure that was diatoms and not brown cyano or dynos. i blow the rock with turkey baster and it come out as dust !. Need some ideas on what it could be causing this constant diatoms bloom !
    Ca.440 ppm
    Kh.8.4
    Am.0
    Nitrite.0
    Nitrates.les than 1ppm (0.50) red sea test
    Mg.3600 ppm
    Ligjtss .2 hydra 52
    Flow . Jebao wp40 and wp25
    P sk .reef octopus sro 2000
    RO/DI from fountainhead water sistems 5 stage .
    Change the sediment every 3 months .and carbon bloks every 7 months .. the only thing i have notise is my di recine has change color just half of it during 1 year of use .. and is a empty gap on the bottom when i turn the filter on about 1 inch ..and the DI recine tumble inside the canister (the DI recine is the one that came original with the filer sistem)
    Use redsea pro salt mix
    Do water change every month 30g
    Phosphate dont measure since i have no visible algae .. any sugestions or ideas [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tags:

2. brandon429

brandon429 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I call that to be spirulina most likely, cyano second likely

In small tanks we beat that easy by rip changing the whole systems water and rinsing out the sand totally, reassemble without a cycle

90 is too big for that. If that was my system id beat that out with a uv filter off amazon

That is a natural reef organism indicating nothing bad about your tank, they can come back anytime, so I never recommend dosing meds to the water for that, uv would beat it easily. We would clean out the tank, install an oversized uv unit, it doesn't come back

Bluing up your lighting vs as much white is the quickest thing you can try without consequence or purchase, it's not widespread enough to be nutrients issue from the water column. From the sand I can agree, but ninety is big tank I'd just zap it and be done.

3. eddie.pr

eddie.pr New Member

so spiruline is dust like .just like diatoms ?

4. boozeman27

boozeman27 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Sorry to hijack, but what’s that green bushy coral called on the right of your tank? I have one similar and don’t know the name. Hope your algae goes as quickly as it came

5. eddie.pr

eddie.pr New Member

Im asiming you are talking abouth greenstar polyp

6. boozeman27

boozeman27 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

The right side on the sand bed

7. eddie.pr

eddie.pr New Member

Migjt be green neon tree

Draft saved Draft deleted