Constantly Failing At SPS What Am I Missing?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, how mature would you say the system is and what kind of stability do you have?
ATO? Programmable doser 2 Part/Kalk?

Do you have a lot of Coraline growing on the rocks, I don’t see much.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes and still have higher Nitrates? The Zeovit is not working for you. You should have low low NO3 with water changes and Zeovit. Could be you fed too much or to many fish. More likely a combination of things. Do 30% water changes weekly, run some carbon, clean your sand and skimmer. Get the NO3 down to 5 ppm by the end of 30 days. You can do it.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, how mature would you say the system is and what kind of stability do you have?
ATO? Programmable doser 2 Part/Kalk?

Do you have a lot of Coraline growing on the rocks, I don’t see much.

With 8 months of it running I'd say it should be there to support some basics SPS at least.
There is a decent amount of coraline, I started to see a growth increase about 2 months ago. I only introduced 2 lps frags that had Coraline on them and that was 3-4 months ago.

Yes to ATO and Yes to doser using red Sea alk, Cal and mag. Alk, Cal and potassium are on doser. Mag dosent budge much before wc day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes and still have higher Nitrates? The Zeovit is not working for you. You should have low low NO3 with water changes and Zeovit. Could be you fed too much or to many fish. More likely a combination of things. Do 30% water changes weekly, run some carbon, clean your sand and skimmer. Get the NO3 down to 5 ppm by the end of 30 days. You can do it.

One cube if rinsed food per day. Total of 8 fish average of 4 inches per fish. I do siphon sand weekly on wc water isn't to dirty. Skimmer is cleaned once a month other than cup and neck, and I skim wet. I can increase the WC % for sure!

Paul Howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the rock is "old" enough yet, frag rack is immaculate- nothing growing on it- it's brand new?
Just throwing this out there? FWIW I stopped testing ph years ago, never saw anything higher than 8.1 on salifert kit.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with Bif that the lack of Coraline is an indicator that something is considerably off. I’ve set up three tanks and have always had an explosion of coraline at month 3 without the introduction of it. By month ~7 my rocks are 90% covered by it.

Your nitrates staying that high is another mystery. Can you share your testing equipment? What test kits are you using and how are you testing your salinity.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the rock is "old" enough yet, frag rack is immaculate- nothing growing on it- it's brand new?
Just throwing this out there? FWIW I stopped testing ph years ago, never saw anything higher than 8.1 on salifert kit.

Frag racks we're brand new, I don't keep them in the tank unless there is a frag in them. That was 3 or 4 days after recieved the frags. My seneye tests pH. I have co2 scrubber without it I can't get pH over 8. Been using a co2 scrubber for almsot 2 years I believe.

lewisriverfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef rock 2.0, cycled it prior to start up. Po4 has never been a issue and it took a while to get some "life" on the Rock.
Your tank may not be mature enough to support sps. There have been reports of it taking 16 months to be able to grow sps from tanks starting with dead rock.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with Bif that the lack of Coraline is an indicator that something is considerably off. I’ve set up three tanks and have always had an explosion of coraline at month 3 without the introduction of it. By month ~7 my rocks are 90% covered by it.

Your nitrates staying that high is another mystery. Can you share your testing equipment? What test kits are you using and how are you testing your salinity.

Even with my old lps systems I never had Coraline that fast thats amazing.

Nitrates is salifert
Po4 Hanna
Alk Hanna
Cal mag red Sea
Potassium salifert
Salinity refractometer - and I have standard solution for calibration once a week.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank may not be mature enough to support sps. There have been reports of it taking 16 months to be able to grow sps from tanks starting with dead rock.

Interesting... Ok adding this to my list of possiblites.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna phosphate reader has a pretty wide error range ... I like to keep my phos at .06 or .07 testing off the Hanna ulr phosphate reader.. if you're getting a reading of 10 off the Hanna ulr checker which would be equal to .03 then your actual phos could be anywhere from .014 to .048
I look for a Hanna reading of 20 - 22 any lower and my colors start to fade but any higher and I start to get algae... Please take this all with a grain of salt what works for me may not work for you and I just recently got my system dialed in for sps. I was having almost the same problem as you and after a lot of tweeking I finally got things to stay alive for a few months.
1daf546fd4c1774f9475e3c2faf8b289.jpg
I have never seen this chart why is there such a wide range of error I have never even heard of this by any reefer with a ULR test kit for phosphorus

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what I’m thinking, either not enough food or immature system or even both. I know it gets thrown in your face not to over feed and nutrients are the devil but all these things have to eat. I’m still baffled by your Nitrates, what parts of the Zeovit system are you using and what amount and frequency? This is very important to Zeo.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also say this, my 180 didn’t take too well to SPS/Acros <1year. This part just takes time and part of the reason many do not recommend SPS in a system that is <1 year old. Other part being experience getting to know the equipment and chemistry, I feel this really applies to first reef folks. 90% of my acros lived in my system that young but did little in growth.

Please tell me about how exactly your useing the Zeovit, that can help me determine/make a recommendation.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen this chart why is there such a wide range of error I have never even heard of this by any reefer with a ULR test kit for phosphorus

It’s only an error of about .03, that’s really good considering most test kit can not detect a difference of .05-.01.

What is throwing you off is the thousandths digit. .035 is just .04 or .03, which is good.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna phosphate reader has a pretty wide error range ... I like to keep my phos at .06 or .07 testing off the Hanna ulr phosphate reader.. if you're getting a reading of 10 off the Hanna ulr checker which would be equal to .03 then your actual phos could be anywhere from .014 to .048
I look for a Hanna reading of 20 - 22 any lower and my colors start to fade but any higher and I start to get algae... Please take this all with a grain of salt what works for me may not work for you and I just recently got my system dialed in for sps. I was having almost the same problem as you and after a lot of tweeking I finally got things to stay alive for a few months.
1daf546fd4c1774f9475e3c2faf8b289.jpg

Error rates per Hanna can be reduced from those number by using their testing tips. Look at the bottom of your card,
df64bf2774bd38664cc320030322de29.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back