What is causing this patch on acro ?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I’m having a weird patch on one acro only. I have a stocked sps system and this is the only one that has a dead patch. It’s been slowly expanding over the last month or two. Any ideas? Corral is overall healthy with PE and good colors.

IMG_1797.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noticed a frag or two with those marks…I would like to know also…..following

btw, I wonder if the urchin accidentally nipped it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 69

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something is eating the skin.
Possibly a fish/invert or a pest like acro eating flatworms.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have also noticed a frag or two with those marks…I would like to know also…..following

btw, I wonder if the urchin accidentally nipped it
Interesting seems similar. It’s very slow to progress. I also don’t have any urchins.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like something is eating the skin.
Possibly a fish/invert or a pest like acro eating flatworms.
I obviously wondered if I had pests but I don’t have flatworms I know. There are no bite marks on any corrals. This is a clear patch not a bite mark. I’ve watched it slowly expand from very small to this in about two months. I just don’t think it’s a bite mark of any kind as it’s the only spot and has slowly expanded. There is a very distinct border too. Here’s maybe a better pic.

IMG_1798.jpeg

Charless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not 100% sure from looking at your pics, but I can say from my own experience dealing AEFW, your pics show similar marks in my coral when I had AEFW. That is where the AEFW eat the flesh and deposit their eggs. To be certain, remove it, dip it and look at that area around the edges of the mark for tiny eggs, using a magnifying glass of some sort. Again, just stating facts from my own experience. Best of luck and I hope you find the true culprit.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not 100% sure from looking at your pics, but I can say from my own experience dealing AEFW, your pics show similar marks in my coral when I had AEFW. That is where the AEFW eat the flesh and deposit their eggs. To be certain, remove it, dip it and look at that area around the edges of the mark for tiny eggs, using a magnifying glass of some sort. Again, just stating facts from my own experience. Best of luck and I hope you find the true culprit.
Thank you. Did you find marks on multiple corrals or just a single mark? When I look online it looks like most people have little marks all over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back