Constantly hazy / cloudy water..

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been battling slightly cloudy / hazy water for the past 3+ months and I have not been able to diagnose the problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the water looks pretty clear most mornings before the lights are on. But hazy and cloudy while the lights are on.

This makes me think it is due to: 1) bacterial imbalance / bloom or 2) Microbubbles.

I can’t confirm Microbubbles as shutting down my skimmer and return for about an hour did not result in less haze... I am also running a tunze powerhead and a Nero 5, both of which I don’t think would be the cause of microbubbbles.

I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy one of the HOB aqua UV sterilizers and see if that helps.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue might be?

CC6C5A72-CDF2-4A46-8564-E360079B3F61.jpeg
4BAD0288-A960-4E6D-9F44-1EB98403AD2D.jpeg

Below is an overview of my system:

—————

I have a bare bottom 45 gallon Red Sea max E170 AOI system and dose carbon in the form of Tropic Marin NP bacto balance daily. I also dose ~4ml of vibrant biweekly as a preventative measure as well. I perform weekly 5 gallon w/c’s with TM Pro reef salt.

My parameters are as follow:

ALK: 8
Phos: 0.06
Nitrate: 3-5
Cal: ~440
Mag: ~1330
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78

Major/trace dosing is handled by tropic Marin all-for-reef.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a green machine. However, if you dose carbon and vibrant, it is probably a bacterial bloom. Stop carbon dosing or stop dosing vibrant. Do not do both. Also if you carbon dose you need to skim wet. Carbon dosing fuels the growth of heterotrophic bacteria (such as vibrant) and is strong enough to work alone without vibrant. Dosing vibrant and carbon dosing is leading to extreme amounts of bacteria at once, which can cloud the water and lower oxygen levels.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Quick question. If you look down thru the top does the water still look clear? It may be the light and the glass. My 180 does that. Crystal clear if I shut the pumps of and look down lengthwise from the top, but thru the glass sort of whitish. But my tank is over 11 , so mine could just be age.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
above statements are correct. carbon dosing will cause haze.
You can either stop dosing or use a diatom filter.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carbon dosed daily, without miss, for 3 years, and my water is crystal clear. Maybe your dosing too much.
I have been dosing Vibrant at the same time for 8 months.

When I look at your tank, I’m not sure why the need for Vibrant, but it should not cloud your water and your dosing amount is spot on.

Your carbon source I don’t know (I use Nopox) but would suspect it may be the cause.
I would cease the Vibrant, and half the carbon dose.

B9BCDEB8-44E8-475A-BE19-AAB06B703C75.jpeg

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a green machine. However, if you dose carbon and vibrant, it is probably a bacterial bloom. Stop carbon dosing or stop dosing vibrant. Do not do both. Also if you carbon dose you need to skim wet. Carbon dosing fuels the growth of heterotrophic bacteria (such as vibrant) and is strong enough to work alone without vibrant. Dosing vibrant and carbon dosing is leading to extreme amounts of bacteria at once, which can cloud the water and lower oxygen levels.

This is helpful thank you for the reply.

I am thinking I will stop dosing vibrant and see if that helps Things clear up a bit.

I might also cut down the amount of NP bacto balance I dose as well.

Do you mind to discuss the wet vs dry skimming for carbon dosing a bit more? Do you need a wet skim to remove excess bacteria from the water column when carbon dosing?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. Dosed vibrant. Bare bottom. Foggy water.

Got rid of it sort of with seachem clarity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back