Constipated Gem Tang Epsom Salt Bath?

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that my Gem Tang is likely constipated and has been for 4 or 5 days (I so wish fish could talk sometimes). Not eating anything at all, even though it does come out at feeding times and sometimes almost acts like it is interested in seaweed clip, but never eats a thing. Appears maybe slightly bloated, but is hiding a lot and swimming slow/lethargic - hard to get a good pic. From what I have read, I don't think it is a swim bladder problem, and certainly hoping it is not. If it is constipated and not eating, it seems an Epsom Salt "bath" may be in order, but I'm not clear on exact procedure here. Do I pull the Gem out of the display, place in a HT and dose at 1 tbsp per 5 gallons and let it sit in that for how long exactly? In the freshwater world, it seems to be that a 30 minute bath is all that is required, but is longer needed in Saltwater for some reason? I have a HT already running with a different fish in it currently, and could add another tank if absolutely needed, but could I just use a 5 gallon bucket and 30 minutes in the bath instead? It doesn't seem like a good idea to dose the Magnesium sulfate in the main tank directly and impacting everything else (no other fish looks to have any problems) too and afterwards be stuck with super high mag levels.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that the fish swallows some of the elevated magnesium, which isn't absorbed by the fish's intestine and then acts as a cathartic.
Basically the same way that mag sulfate or mag citrate relieves constipation in humans.
I agree that doing it in a hospital tank is best, although people do add mag sulfate to their DTs without issue.
An elevated magnesium level won't harm any of your fish or corals. It actually may help suppress nuisance algae.
I don't think a bath would be as useful. You want the fish to ingest magnesium over a prolonged period, until it either works or it doesn't.

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that the fish swallows some of the elevated magnesium...
I don't think a bath would be as useful. You want the fish to ingest magnesium over a prolonged period, until it either works or it doesn't.
Thank you for the advice. It sounds like I'm best setting up a new HT for treatment, even though I was hoping for something easier/faster. If I can't catch it today, would you personally add to the entire display (it is about 185 gal of total water volume for me) or just keep trying to catch it until successful? I'm worried about how long it has not been eating.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. It sounds like I'm best setting up a new HT for treatment, even though I was hoping for something easier/faster. If I can't catch it today, would you personally add to the entire display (it is about 185 gal of total water volume for me) or just keep trying to catch it until successful? I'm worried about how long it has not been eating.

Tough call. I've never added epsom salt to a DT myself even though it's supposedly safe.
I guess I'd keep trying to catch him.
I was also going to add the boiled peeled green pea recommendation, but Gary beat me to it. :)

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just as an update to anyone who reads this, the Gem didn't make it and was found gone this morning. Tried for several hours yesterday to catch it and get into QT, but was not able to (too fast and too many places to hide and never see). I never wanted to add too much stress from catching, but no matter what I tried I couldn't catch it. Still no idea for sure what it was unfortunately... Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back