construction of tank.

BigChewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you guys im wanting to experiment with the construction of my own 350 gallon corner pentagon shaped tank. I have looked all over the internet to try to figure out where to start as far as selecting the proper width of the glass/ or acrylic to be used, adhesive/sealent, and the dimensions in which to get the glass plates cut or cut myself cause you know what they say measure twice cut once. I'm wanting to go with my first diy tank of this size because I believe in the old saying go big or go home. and I'm not one to go out empty handed. so anything helps with anyone who may have some helpful advice or can help me out with the entire construction process. Heres what i do know how to do- find the cubic ft measurement of the tank: LxWxD (but what im not sure of is applyib that formula to basically 5 sided triangle lol) and i know how to find the weight of each piece of glass: Cubic Ft of that in particular piece of glass multiplied by 1.5 (the weight of glass per cubic inch). but other than that im kinda stumped and feel a little stupid lol. so if you could help me out partially or completely i will be grateful thanks.

Robert De Lisle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is this guy on you tube, Mr DIY, that has built tanks. I watched it the other night. He was talking about all that stuff your asking

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should seriously reconsider your "go big or go home" theory. Additionally, you should do much, much more research and reading up on building glass pressure vessels. I would highly suggest, building a small tank first and you will see that this is much more difficult than you think. Especially, at the size you are thinking. Consider for a moment, the logistics of lifting, placing, and bracing a single, 200 pound piece of glass, let alone 4 of them.

It sounds as if you have minimal to no tank building experience, and if this is the case, I would start much, much smaller. Somewhere, around 20 gallons or so, to get a feel for the process and technique. I am by no means, trying to discourage a DIY project, but it sounds as if you need MUCH more experience/knowledge before even considering building a 350 gallon tank. There are many factors that are at work when building an aquarium. One think to consider is safety and having 350 gallons of water, rock, coral, fish and glass come crashing down in your house.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaming the vertical edges of a tank that isn't 90 degrees becomes very sketchy. Who's going to cut the glass? I'd want one end cut at 72 degrees so it mates up evenly with the flat of the next sheet of glass. Either that or cut at 36 degrees so they mate up in a mitered corner.

And like Jlobes said, if you haven't done this before, you are asking for a big time failure. I did a 24g 10" deep frag tank that looks a bit rough but has held water for a year now. Of course 10" deep is easy. So now I've made a 65g 14" deep frag tank. The experience of the first build made a huge difference and this tank looks much cleaner and fits together perfectly. But the next tank will be even better... assuming there will be a next tank. :bigsmile: But I wouldn't even consider doing what you are planing... not a chance!

Last edited:

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked with glass my whole life. We own a stained glass business. I've built a few small tanks.Cutting glass the thickness you would need (over 1/2") becomes tricky,unpredictable scores happen,and can be sort of dangerous with those size panels. Grinding the glass edges takes special equipment. I also think that the manufactures use a UV adhesive before the actual silicone. Don't rule out going thru with it,just do all your research.I'm a DIYourselfer and it can be awesome to say you built it instead of buying it.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use GE silicone… Do not use a consumer brand. Use an industrial brand adhesive silicone. You really want to use, RTV103/108, 103 is black 108 is clear. You will need extremely precise cuts, With basically no cutting tolerance. Approximately 1/16"(1.5mm) for the seam allowance.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Maybe trying to give you some more facts and information that may be helpful. By all means, build your own tank. But I would starting much smaller.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Yeah...what he said!! ;) guess I missed the fact that, this was your first post. welcome...enjoy the forum. good times and info around these parts!

OP
OP
B

BigChewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yall for all the helpful advise i will do a bit more research before actually startingthe project and have decided to go as low as like a 50 gallon tank for my first and then ill gradually increase the size of my diys as i become more sskillful in this as far as the 50 gallon would go i would still really like to go with the corner pentagon shape has anyone ever built a tank in this shape design? If so any tips or advise to this in particular shape or precautions of any kind i should heed

OP
OP
B

BigChewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh guys i forgot to.mention in my original post that this is to be a salt water tank so i know thats gonna screw with calculations a bit seeings how salt water weighs more than freshwater. So if you can help let me know

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest way to get the proper angle to the panes would be a glass grinder.My stained glass grinder could probably handle the thickness of glass for a 50 but it would take a very steady hand to keep the angle even across the length.Do you have the glass already.Possibly the glass shop could get that angle on there for you,reducing a whole lot of labor for you.I would also fabricate some sort of rim and base to prevent separation.You would be amazed how much pressure were talking here.I had a hard time with my custom refugium's last baffle holding back 55gals(definitely too much to hold with your hands) You also don't want that base glass lying flat on a hard surface.As a DIYourselfer I don't believe in impossible,theres always a way to do it,so don't let this discourage you,just trying to help out.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start square. Much easier/less complicated. You will soon see, this is not as easy as you think. Whatever you do, water test it outside

You seem committed to building a very odd shaped/large tank, for your first tank. I would highly suggest you do much more research. And start at 20 gallons or less

I built a couple small things, and I'm wanting to build a bigger tanks, As such, I've been doing a bunch/ton of research. There are many, many complexities and issues you haven't even considered. The least of them, being the difference between saltwater and freshwater weights

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigChewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i know 1 gallon of freshwater weighs 8.34lbs so if i did a freshwater tank the tank would have to be able to support approximately 417lbs of just water and if its a salt water i would have to figure out the specific gravity in which i would keep the tank this includes specifics such as density and temperature i would keep the tank at it would also have to include the dissolved solinity rate to find the weight of the salt water for example a gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs i would take that and multipy it by the specific gravity for this example ill use 1.025 ( using this number because the average specific gravity of salt water is between the range of 1.023-1.025) so my formula for the weight of salt water would be 8.34x1.025=A. So at this specific gravity one gallon of salt water would weigh approximately 8.54lbs the i would take the 8.54lbs and multiply it by the number of gallons i would be building the tank to so lets say i did a 20gallon tank i would take 8.54x20=170.8 so the salt water tank woukd have to be able to support 170.8lbs of just water.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figuring the weight is very helpful,but there are only a few glass thicknesses. Our 55gal has 1/8" glass, our 150gal is 1/2".If in doubt go with the thicker glass. You shouldn't have a problem cutting 1/8" glass. Like said before squareness is everything. After you score the glass you wil be literally lifting the entire pane and then snapping it over the edge of your table,there you can see the problem with the larger tank panes (very heavy and awkward).I would build a tank of moderate size that you could use as your sump/refugium later when you have your large tank. Oh and by the way,welcome to the club neighbor, Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigChewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yall for the welcome into the forum community. Hey intricat where is your shop located i see your in port richey i live in new port richey and perhaps maybe sone day we could grab a cup of coffee and talk in person to exchange notes on this

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back