Containing Waving Hand Anthelia.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anthelia is growing like crazy. In about six months it has grown from a few polyps on a plug to covering a rock and reaching out with polyps eight inches or more long. I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't spread to other unattached rock. So far that has not happened, however my Tuxedo urchins are carrying around small pieces of it and I'm not sure what will happen with those. They don't seem inclined to let go of them. Side note, I had to get rid of my Aptasia Eating Filefish after he nearly destroyed this tiny plug immediately upon it entering the tank. He also went after my Solomon Hairy Leather which has become a problem. Perhaps I should try and get him back lol!

IMG_1442.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These problems are managable but you have to stay on top of weeds or they will be everywhere. Tiny frags can quickly become Jungle rock #2. People who keep these often routinely trim excess to prevent being overrun. It is an amazing coral, but a threat for total invasion of a tank.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These problems are managable but you have to stay on top of weeds or they will be everywhere. Tiny frags can quickly become Jungle rock #2. People who keep these often routinely trim excess to prevent being overrun. It is an amazing coral, but a threat for total invasion of a tank.
Can you actually trim back those long polyps? If you do will the entire polyp recede and disappear, or perhaps branch off into two like trimming a tree branch lol!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you actually trim back those long polyps? If you do will the entire polyp recede and disappear, or perhaps branch off into two like trimming a tree branch lol!
I've never kept these long enough to trim them, but folks talk about peeling off the bases and cutting them off rocks, and generally "trimming" the expanding colony to keep it from growing over everything. I've seen frags with headed back arms and it seems like they either die back or bud new hands afterward?

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you treat that rock like an island on your sand bed. Once the coral starts to grow onto the sand you can rip it off. It will be every few weeks of maintenance you will need to do to keep it from spreading around. This can be done with GSP and Xenia as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back