Contamination risk with display tank when using chelated Copper in QT tank.

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thoroughly do I need to wash my arms and hands after working with QT tank containing 2.5ppm chelated copper. I don’t want to accidentally introduce copper into my sump in a separate fish room, nor do I want to contaminate the display with a coppery arm. Further, if a bucket, or heater has been used with copper, will it forever be a copper only device. finally, what about using the same refractometer with the copper bin and the display tank water. I have used a separate pipette to grab the copper-dosed water. I rinse the refractometer with RO/DI from a spray bottle. what else am I missing in the multitude of copper cross-contamination issues. I worry about the things I can’t see, including the soap residue on my arms. My advance apologies if I am somewhat paranoid! image.jpg

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I actually try to avoid surfactants on my hands and arms before reaching in. But somebody has to wash the dishes around here, (ha).

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The food you feed will have traces of copper and some supplements likely have copper in them too - especially the color enhancing ones. Some copper is fine and some will even dose it. Too much can be a problem. In any case, your skimmer can get some of it and more can bind to aragonite.

Just do a rinse and wipe down your hands. I would use a piece of equipment any time after it has been in copper once it is rinsed off well.

Upvote 0

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't have to worry too much about that sort of thing. The amount of copper will likely be minimal. If you're really worried about it keep a few polyfilters around. You should probably keep one around anyway just in case

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The food you feed will have traces of copper and some supplements likely have copper in them too - especially the color enhancing ones. Some copper is fine and some will even dose it. Too much can be a problem. In any case, your skimmer can get some of it and more can bind to aragonite.

Just do a rinse and wipe down your hands. I would use a piece of equipment any time after it has been in copper once it is rinsed off well.
Thanks, I’m tired of scrubbing-in!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't have to worry too much about that sort of thing. The amount of copper will likely be minimal. If you're really worried about it keep a few polyfilters around. You should probably keep one around anyway just in case
thanks for the good news!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back