Contest Entries for Positive Reviews? Ethical?

Jeffrey Dunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Maybe its just me but isn't there something untoward to providing someone an entry to a contest for providing a "positive review"? Now I'm a big fan of certain Hanna products that I use so this isn't an issue I have with the product, but I think its just not right that they would provide contest entries for providing positive reviews which would make unbiased reviews less visible to prospective customers...

Am I wrong? Should R2R be supporting this type of contest?

PS. You can consider this an unbiased positive review for the ultra low range phosphate checker and alkalinity tester as I am independent having not entered the contest :) I would, however, caution about reviews you might find elsewhere online...

upload_2017-12-29_10-6-53.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, how many people are going to leave positive reviews just to receive free product, even if they don't own any of the product. To many chances to have it taken advantage of.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People leave bogus reviews all the time about products they haven't used. So now R2R should not support a contest Hannah has put out because some dishonest reviews will be written? I respect opinions but this seems to me like a drama induced thread which R2R will be thrown under the bus. I see nothing wrong for a company asking for a positive review if your using and happy with there products. In my field I ask customers everyday to leave a positive review with my services, does that make me unethical. I don't read Hannah's contest like your portraying it, leave a good review and well give you free stuff.

Last edited:

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I see both side of this. I can see users creating 'false' or 'not 100% true' reviews just to get entered into a contest. I think it could had been worded better as "leave comment" not just a positive comment. Wording like that might go over better.

In my field I ask customers everyday to leave a positive review with my services, does that make me unethical
That does not make you unethical but what if the customer didn't have a positive review? Are they still able to comment and get the same level of service? If you do get a un-positive review do you hide them?

Just the other day I was talking with a parent of one of my client in goalkeeper training. I could tell something was bothering him and I found out that his kids where 100% happy with some of my training sessions. It had nothing to do with how I was training them; they loved it and enjoyed it. The issue they had was I was doing my grouping by age but they felt some of the keepers in their age group shouldn't be there cause of their skill level (just starting out over others who been doing it for years). I told the parent I needed to hear this cause then I can take steps to improve it.

I can also see a company wanting to provide a 'gift' for customers who like their product so they would want folks to provide a positive review.

Now the part about R2R supporting this contest

I don't see an issue with it. I feel we all are smart enough to make up our choice on if we support a company or not. They are just highlighting one of their sponsors. I also feel R2R shouldn't get into the business of deciding how a company runs their contests

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be fair, the positive review only pertains to their own web site, not the other sites to leave reviews for additional chances to win. it's common sense that reviews on a product's web site will only be positive testimonials as companies don't post negative comments on their own web sites.

also, the positive review isn't a requirement to enter the contest. it only increases your odds.

it's naive to go a company's web site and think you will see any negative reviews on it and think they don't exist.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Dunn

Jeffrey Dunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who thinks I posted this create drama, besmirch R2R, or anything of the sort is wholly mistaken. It's a simple intellectual exercise: the language used in the contest appears to create a conflict of interest between us as consumers who want and need reliable information about products and the manufacturers and related parties who are involved in the selling. Maybe it was just poor wording; I would think Hanna would want both positive and negative feedback. As a marketing manager I would rather not have a bunch of BS "great product" reviews burying good detailed ones that informs potential buyers (i.e. "great consistent tester, should have a built in audible timer, I observe that washing with rodi increases accuracy, the best on the market..."). I would also be sensitive to suggesting in any way that there might be disinformation being put out about the product.

Similarly, anyone who wants to say this is some sort of indicator of a larger issue with R2R is likely just a troll with a grudge from something else. There is nothing productive in saying something like that without any basis.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I see both side of this. I can see users creating 'false' or 'not 100% true' reviews just to get entered into a contest. I think it could had been worded better as "leave comment" not just a positive comment. Wording like that might go over better.

That does not make you unethical but what if the customer didn't have a positive review? Are they still able to comment and get the same level of service? If you do get a un-positive review do you hide them?

Just the other day I was talking with a parent of one of my client in goalkeeper training. I could tell something was bothering him and I found out that his kids where 100% happy with some of my training sessions. It had nothing to do with how I was training them; they loved it and enjoyed it. The issue they had was I was doing my grouping by age but they felt some of the keepers in their age group shouldn't be there cause of their skill level (just starting out over others who been doing it for years). I told the parent I needed to hear this cause then I can take steps to improve it.

I can also see a company wanting to provide a 'gift' for customers who like their product so they would want folks to provide a positive review.

Now the part about R2R supporting this contest

I don't see an issue with it. I feel we all are smart enough to make up our choice on if we support a company or not. They are just highlighting one of their sponsors. I also feel R2R shouldn't get into the business of deciding how a company runs their contests
If my customer posted a negative review I'd do everything in my power to make it right so yes, they'd always get the same level of service. It's how I will always conduct buisness on my end.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who thinks I posted this create drama, besmirch R2R, or anything of the sort is wholly mistaken. It's a simple intellectual exercise: the language used in the contest appears to create a conflict of interest between us as consumers who want and need reliable information about products and the manufacturers and related parties who are involved in the selling. Maybe it was just poor wording; I would think Hanna would want both positive and negative feedback. As a marketing manager I would rather not have a bunch of BS "great product" reviews burying good detailed ones that informs potential buyers (i.e. "great consistent tester, should have a built in audible timer, I observe that washing with rodi increases accuracy, the best on the market..."). I would also be sensitive to suggesting in any way that there might be disinformation being put out about the product.

Similarly, anyone who wants to say this is some sort of indicator of a larger issue with R2R is likely just a troll with a grudge from something else. There is nothing productive in saying something like that without any basis.
I'm not a troll and gave you my opinion. Name calling doesn't help your cause.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my customer posted a negative review I'd do everything in my power to make it right so yes, they'd always get the same level of service. It's how I will always conduct buisness on my end.
that is what I figured but there are business out there who will 'hide' bad reviews and push those customers away.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Dunn

Jeffrey Dunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a troll and gave you my opinion. Name calling doesn't help your cause.

I don't understand your post. I didn't call you a troll and I don't have a cause. You don't agree with my reading of the contest language and that's fine. I highlighted the section that led to my post.

I didn't think about the fact that the reviews were on their private website which they probably manage anyway; whoever made that comment thanks.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else: Follow the money. I worked for a fortune 100 retailer that knowingly set up a "rigged" customer service survey system that allowed stores to give themselves fake reviews. The CEO of the company then used these 'fake" results in presentations to the board of directors to show how great the company was treating its customers. The result was that the board then decided that it could make more money by reducing payroll. After all, they were doing such a good job then they could probably do well with less people. The end result was that there were no employees left to service customers and the company is on its last legs because sales are way down. The lesson is that most companies will do anything to make a buck and in many cases set themselves up for failure by seeking undeserved positive reviews. I use my experience with specific brands versus individual reviews unless there are specific fact based concerns. Many reviews are based on the emotion of "whatever I bought is best"; seeking positive reinforcement of there own decisions.

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like trying to buy positive feedback to me and basically means I won't trust the positive feedback nearly as much and I'll add weight to the negative reviews since I feel those people were probably more honest knowing that they won't be entered in the drawing even though they provided their hopefully honest review. To me a negative review is an opportunity for a company to reach out and try to fix a negative experience with a customer so to penalize someone for offering feedback about how something didn't work or could be improved doesn't make sense to me. Whether the contest is from Hanna or R2R doesn't matter but as someone who I feel should be more on the side of the hobbyist I'm surprised R2R wouldn't have asked Hanna to open the contest to all who provide a review since a large number of reviews should be the goal and if the product is good they should average out that way I also can't believe Hanna wouldn't have foreseen the backlash this would create.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're just trying to do something nice for our community and give away free product . I think it's a bit much to presume it wasn't just an enthusiastic post without a sinister intent for good reviews.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Dunn

Jeffrey Dunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're just trying to do something nice for our community and give away free product . I think it's a bit much to presume it wasn't just an enthusiastic post without a sinister intent for good reviews.

I agree that this hardly seems nefarious but let's also fairly acknowledge that they aren't just doing something nice for the community; the purpose of this is to advertise their product, identity potential customers and get them to open a communication channel for marketing messages, and, apparently, to identify positive reviews for their website. Those things are good business generating profits above the cost of the giveaway.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of great and bad reviews for Hannah and there products. I seriously don't see the point or good in this thread.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back