Control for dumb led strip

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I recently decided to supplement my 6 bulb t5 with a reefbrite led strip for sick blues yo.... My goal is to use it as a ramp up/down in the morning and night and have it off while the T5s are running. All of the links I found in old threads to controllers or timers were dead...

does anyone have a recommendation for a timer or controller that would allow me to run the strip for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night, but stay off mid day while the main lights are running? Bonus points if it ramps them as well!

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because mechanical timers don't ramp? It helps if you read OP's post.

op pretty clearly said ramping was optional. Maybe take your own advice?

the product you linked requires some assumptions about the reef brite strips that I can’t answer because I don’t own a reefbrite to disassemble to check out the hardware.

a mechanical timer is plug and play — guaranteed to work.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like ramping is optional.
If a mechanic timer is $8-10, and a ramping digital timer, which does exactly what he's asking for, is $12.99. Which of those options are the better choice? Yes, he could have worded that better, but the nicrew timer is pretty standard among led controller recommendations. The only alternative is that OP did not know appliance timers existed, which is a pretty far stretch.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he could have worded that better
My issue is your insulting tone toward the person who suggested the mechanical timer. You were rude for absolutely no reason.

You could have worded your comment better ..

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I recently decided to supplement my 6 bulb t5 with a reefbrite led strip for sick blues yo.... My goal is to use it as a ramp up/down in the morning and night and have it off while the T5s are running. All of the links I found in old threads to controllers or timers were dead...

does anyone have a recommendation for a timer or controller that would allow me to run the strip for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night, but stay off mid day while the main lights are running? Bonus points if it ramps them as well!
I’ve used this for years, slowly ramps up. Although most don’t allow multiple on off times in the day - may have to keep it on if you go this route, curious to see other suggestions.

Attachments

• E44310CF-2493-476A-86EC-B56B5DFBC2FD.jpeg
    E44310CF-2493-476A-86EC-B56B5DFBC2FD.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll do some more research on that nicrew timer to make sure I don't Overload it.

To settle the mechanical timer debate from earlier.... Yes I'm aware that they exist, but I couldn't find one that allowed for two separate on/off periods. Six T5s is already a lot of light for a 90g mixed reef, so I didn't want to add more by running the leds all day.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll do some more research on that nicrew timer to make sure I don't Overload it.

To settle the mechanical timer debate from earlier.... Yes I'm aware that they exist, but I couldn't find one that allowed for two separate on/off periods. Six T5s is already a lot of light for a 90g mixed reef, so I didn't want to add more by running the leds all day.

Any of the ones that have tabs that you pull up or push down (instead of the clips you insert) will allow you to have multiple photoperiods.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21LEDUSA Has The SunSetter Control, but you need to read carefully on how it works, as it has one ramp up and one ramp down per day. You maybe able to get close to what you want to do, using the cloudy day Control or Moon Light settings. The nice things about this control, is the price, it keeps it’s settings, including the time in a power failure. It’s for 12 Vdc, and I think it will handle 24 Vdc

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fink
In case you end up looking for this type, I recently used this for a similar purpose while out of town. They also have a dual outlet model which might be good if you have a second LED strip.

Certainly lower tech than some of the other timers posted, but it works well and was $6. :)

PXL_20220804_154254024.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fink
In case you end up looking for this type, I recently used this for a similar purpose while out of town. They also have a dual outlet model which might be good if you have a second LED strip.

Certainly lower tech than some of the other timers posted, but it works well and was $6. :)

I have a similar tab style like that controlling my brs dosing pump, mine does 15 min on at the top of the hour every hour.

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fink

I bought one of the nicrew ramp timers mentioned earlier in the thread. It should be here Saturday, I'll report back how it works...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back