Controling Nitrates for SPS

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ways do most use to control Nitrates for SPS only tanks. Are the best way to use macro algae or media. Some people keep levels below 1ppm where as others are above 1ppm. I know everyone has their own opinion. If I want to keep my level at or below 1ppm what method would be easier. If I want to keep it around 5ppm what method. Please tell me what method you use and why. I am not wanting this to turn into a debate. Just trying to learn different ways of raising SPS's.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ways do most use to control Nitrates for SPS only tanks. Are the best way to use macro algae or media. Some people keep levels below 1ppm where as others are above 1ppm. I know everyone has their own opinion. If I want to keep my level at or below 1ppm what method would be easier. If I want to keep it around 5ppm what method. Please tell me what method you use and why. I am not wanting this to turn into a debate. Just trying to learn different ways of raising SPS's.

I personally have been using NOPOx. Controlling? it's debatable. NO3 for me in the 3ppm range? maybe a little less?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a reactor with Seachem Matrix (not the carbon, the white rocks). It took a month or so before I started seeing a reduction.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me: large refugium packed with feather caulerpa and a high PAR, correct spectrum light. It works so well that I have to supplement both NO3 and PO4.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 1.5lbs per gallon of real live rock from previous systems and a shutdown. I also have a Brightwell Xport brick. I have to dose nitrates as they zero out if not, I keep them between 3-4 ppm.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks and sand will keep mine at about .01 - low enough that only ICP can read it. Fuge and ATS work great as well.

In an established tank with real/mature live rock and/or at least 2-3 inches of sand, the anoxic areas are machines on nitrate... but this takes time to develop.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of plane white sugar and vinegar. 1cup/1gallon. And I have 3 MarinePure Blocks in my sump stood up on end. There is also a large chaeto refugium. This is so effective that I have to add Nitrates in the system from time to time. Also controls PO4, haven’t used GFO in over 2 uears

NewReefer42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks and sand will keep mine at about .01 - low enough that only ICP can read it. Fuge and ATS work great as well.

In an established tank with real/mature live rock and/or at least 2-3 inches of sand, the anoxic areas are machines on nitrate... but this takes time to develop.
...ICP can't give nitrate levels. metals/metalloids only. Did you mean IC?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... too liberal there with my terminology... I did indeed just mean a mail-in test. You are right, it is probably not smart to call them all ICP.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back