Controller for both heater and chiller

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good idea to have one controller for both the heater and the chiller? What brands are good? I'm not doing APEX so I need other suggestions. Thank you!

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco dual stage is my go to when not using a controller like Profilux or Apex. They are commercial products not hobby grade (from my understanding)

OP
OP
Humanzee1966

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I had no idea this existed and it looks quite great. Love the customizable cord length option!!

No problem. One of the reasons I chose Ranco as my go to is because it's commercial and not "hobby grade". It's also UL listed and as such it undergoes extra testing to ensure it's a robust electrical device. I've used cheap non UL listed power supplies from Amazon in the past and they were not great (over heated and at some point it started to smoke). This is also why many of the expensive products we buy (e.g. Radions, Vortech, etc) use parts that are UL listed like their power supply.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very limited experience with reefs, but I have used Inkbird controllers for other applications for heating and cooling. They worked well on my meat dry-curing chamber, and they are very affordable. I ran a refrigerator for the cool cycle with a 1500W heater inside for the heat cycle.

The one Sailfin11 linked above is on sale ($10 off) for about another half an hour. When that one is not on sale, you might consider the Inkbird ITC-308S which is specialized for aquariums (it has a different probe to prevent corossion) and is about the exact same cost as the ITC-308 regular price.

Admittedly, these are cheap and for hobby-use, so they may not be as dependable long-term as other controllers that cost more.

OP
OP
Humanzee1966

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. One of the reasons I chose Ranco as my go to is because it's commercial and not "hobby grade". It's also UL listed and as such it undergoes extra testing to ensure it's a robust electrical device. I've used cheap non UL listed power supplies from Amazon in the past and they were not great (over heated and at some point it started to smoke). This is also why many of the expensive products we buy (e.g. Radions, Vortech, etc) use parts that are UL listed like their power supply.

Now I know why I paid so much for those Vortechs and Vectras lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back