Controller reccomendations? Doesn't have to be new.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Looking to maybe put some form of control on the tank. Basically here is what I'm after. Heater control ( I was going to go wifi enabled Inkbird aquarium model but haven't decided)
Ability to turn off ato( I already own one so why re buy?)
Turn off skimmer and return pump for water changes.

Dosing control maybe? Still researching a stand alone dosing pump

Thoughts?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex and GHL Profilux are the two heavyweights here, but Coralvue is releasing the Hydros. I think they might be for sale at this point.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant to invest in a controller that is no longer being manufactured unless it was a screaming good deal because parts will gradually become scarce. That said, the Reefkeeper seemed to be a good controller that died only because the parent company refocused on their primary business.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant to invest in a controller that is no longer being manufactured unless it was a screaming good deal because parts will gradually become scarce. That said, the Reefkeeper seemed to be a good controller that died only because the parent company refocused on their primary business.
Im mostly after turning things off and on for maintenance, and heat control really. my lights have wifi and their own app, i was also considering a wifi enabled inkbird, and some wifi outlets for turning off skimmer and return when needed with voice control...

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want to spend a lot of money, the Reef Angel is an extremely reliable controller that is capable of doing anything you could dream up. I have an RA+ on our 75g that has been flawless for almost three and a half years now, actually, it did hang up once requiring a reset (pumps and heaters all worked properly but the lights didnt come on). We have a GHL on our 150g and it's definitely a bit more polished but is also twice the price (still not particularly intuitive).

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want to spend a lot of money, the Reef Angel is an extremely reliable controller that is capable of doing anything you could dream up. I have an RA+ on our 75g that has been flawless for almost three and a half years now, actually, it did hang up once requiring a reset (pumps and heaters all worked properly but the lights didnt come on). We have a GHL on our 150g and it's definitely a bit more polished but is also twice the price (still not particularly intuitive).
looking now, what model would i be best served with?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something like this?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used the Star but it's their latest offering.
i cant find a way to order the older ones. What modules would i need then? Temp and PH come with it, i already own a float switch based ATO, and was going to re use it, and i dont need to control my lights, i like the app ability, and remote adjustment, which the older reef keeper doesnt have. I just want to not have to handle heat, and ph, and turn my fuge light off and on per 12 hours, and maintenence modes for skimmer, heater, flow pump, and return, on/off. Im not into feed modes or anything.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant find a way to order the older ones. What modules would i need then? Temp and PH come with it, i already own a float switch based ATO, and was going to re use it, and i dont need to control my lights, i like the app ability, and remote adjustment, which the older reef keeper doesnt have. I just want to not have to handle heat, and ph, and turn my fuge light off and on per 12 hours, and maintenence modes for skimmer, heater, flow pump, and return, on/off. Im not into feed modes or anything.
If all you want is on off for pumps etc, look at the kasa wifi smart power strip. Control each outlet separately, nice app. I used the Reef angel for years. For the most part it worked well. I just bought a ghl and it's been very nice but $$$ unless you find it used.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you want is on off for pumps etc, look at the kasa wifi smart power strip. Control each outlet separately, nice app. I used the Reef angel for years. For the most part it worked well. I just bought a ghl and it's been very nice but $$$ unless you find it used.
Id like the temp monitoring as well, maybe PH. Id get over my hatred for APex design, if the price was right ha!

U

User1

View Badges

If you go open source and have a basic understanding of code this is by far the best option. RA can do things that GHL and Apex can only dream of. Sounds harsh, and it is somewhat - and I own an Apex, but the custom libraries that the RA has is what allows it to stand apart.

Functions such as:
Geolocations
Tides
True random storms and/or weather based on code not set timestamp

On the other hand if you are looking for off the shelf then Neptune Apex and GHL are the two primary players. GHL has a bigger user base in EMEA probably than the US but that doesn't mean you should exclude them. Neptune Apex is the larger of the two and both will work. If you go this route then I'd suggest you make a list of what you want, need, and future upgrades both tank, dosing, and monitoring(testing). This may help steer you into a product.

I've used the RA for several years and love it. It has a lower entry price than GHL/APEX but can add up as you buy additional components. With my recent upgrade I went with Apex because I wanted to implement automated testing and when I heard about the trident it sealed the deal.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go open source and have a basic understanding of code this is by far the best option. RA can do things that GHL and Apex can only dream of. Sounds harsh, and it is somewhat - and I own an Apex, but the custom libraries that the RA has is what allows it to stand apart.

Functions such as:
Geolocations
Tides
True random storms and/or weather based on code not set timestamp

On the other hand if you are looking for off the shelf then Neptune Apex and GHL are the two primary players. GHL has a bigger user base in EMEA probably than the US but that doesn't mean you should exclude them. Neptune Apex is the larger of the two and both will work. If you go this route then I'd suggest you make a list of what you want, need, and future upgrades both tank, dosing, and monitoring(testing). This may help steer you into a product.

I've used the RA for several years and love it. It has a lower entry price than GHL/APEX but can add up as you buy additional components. With my recent upgrade I went with Apex because I wanted to implement automated testing and when I heard about the trident it sealed the deal.

Best of luck.
I basically at this point, want to control my heater, track PH, and turn things on and off. thats about it. Im going to be dosing, but i like the ideas of the external Bubble magnus dosers that are programmed within for that.

The original plan was some Wifi outlets, for the skimmer heater controller ( inkbird) return pump and gyre. Im a IT guy by day, so i dont mind getting my hands dirty so to speak. My needs are pretty simple, just dont want to undo wires all the time to maintain the tank.

Just looking for the best way to handle all of this.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically at this point, want to control my heater, track PH, and turn things on and off. thats about it. Im going to be dosing, but i like the ideas of the external Bubble magnus dosers that are programmed within for that.

The original plan was some Wifi outlets, for the skimmer heater controller ( inkbird) return pump and gyre. Im a IT guy by day, so i dont mind getting my hands dirty so to speak. My needs are pretty simple, just dont want to undo wires all the time to maintain the tank.

Just looking for the best way to handle all of this.

Reef Angel has a wizard that makes setting up all the basics really easy. In regard to dosing, you can grab individual pumps (such as the BRS units) and just have the RA run them via the relay box (how are 75g is setup). It would do everything you're looking at out of the box (and more).

What I'm using:

Two dosing pumps (BRS)
T5s on/off and power/dimming of Kessils
Refugium lighting on/off
ATO (Aqualifter drawing from a 5g reservoir)
Heater control
Temp probes for ambient air along with two in tank (one display and one in sump)
Skimmer control (need to add the delay on start up but I've been lazy)
Monitor pH (pointless in my opinion so I dont even calibrate the probe any more)
Carbon reactor control
Overtemp
Water change mode
Feed mode (never use it)

The system can remain clean if you put a little effort in to it.

48716684847_d33bdb6dbc_h.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the space I'm working with.

There's an app for it too right? I'm a Android user, and past Linux user so I'm a lover of open source. I mean if it's going to cost me a bunch to get an apex, and then new power bars, it might be worth doing this instead?
IMG_20191111_200819.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Angel has a wizard that makes setting up all the basics really easy. In regard to dosing, you can grab individual pumps (such as the BRS units) and just have the RA run them via the relay box (how are 75g is setup). It would do everything you're looking at out of the box (and more).

What I'm using:

Two dosing pumps (BRS)
T5s on/off and power/dimming of Kessils
Refugium lighting on/off
ATO (Aqualifter drawing from a 5g reservoir)
Heater control
Temp probes for ambient air along with two in tank (one display and one in sump)
Skimmer control (need to add the delay on start up but I've been lazy)
Monitor pH (pointless in my opinion so I dont even calibrate the probe any more)
Carbon reactor control
Overtemp
Water change mode
Feed mode (never use it)

The system can remain clean if you put a little effort in to it.

48716684847_d33bdb6dbc_h.jpg
I currently have a jbj ato, so I have a pump I could use. What would I have to do/ buy for actual items to make it all work the way described? Trying to make a master plan

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a jbj ato, so I have a pump I could use. What would I have to do/ buy for actual items to make it all work the way described? Trying to make a master plan

You shouldnt need to purchase anything outside of the basic Star (if that is the route you go). It comes with eight controllable outlets which sounds like more than enough for what you want to do.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt need to purchase anything outside of the basic Star (if that is the route you go). It comes with eight controllable outlets which sounds like more than enough for what you want to do.
What about probes, and floata for ato etc?

Is this it?

What about Wifi?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about probes, and floata for ato etc?

Is this it?

What about Wifi?

I dont believe it comes with WiFi support. What you linked is what it comes with.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back