Controlling Alk in new tank before move

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading to a 210 from a 75 and ran into a small issue when checking parameters the other day.

I had posted in my build thread but figured this was more appropriate so I just quoted the last two messages to show where I currently am with the issue.

So I checked the parameters today between both tanks and I realized a mistake I've made.

I decided to switch salts for this tank and was planning on doing the switch through some water changes but ran out of reef crystals about halfway through making the water. I finished with Brightwell and as a result my parameters between the two tanks are a bit off. Biggest difference is between Alk and Mag. Should I work to bring these closer aligned before moving live stock or would a drip acc be enough when moving over?

Current 75 gallon
Alk - 8.5
Cal - 450
Mag - 1400
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 79

New 210 gallon
Alk - 10.1
Cal - 425
Mag - 1680
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 80

I'm thinking I might want to do a WC on the old tank before moving everything to get a small acc that way as well. I'm so close to the finish line!!

So looking at the bucket of Brightwell NeoMarine the measurement values don't make sense.

The NeoMarine bucket says Alk should be ~7.5 and Mag 1288 at a Salinity of 1.025.

I'm making new water and will test a fresh batch of 100% NeoMarine. It shouldn't be the old salt as I've always kept my tank around 8.5. Unless there was an alk spike at the bottom of the last bucket? Is that possible?

Long and short, I shouldve paid more attention to salt mixes as I was making water. I'm thinking of a small series of water changes to both tanks to being levels closer and then drip acc live stock (fish, inverts, LPS, and softies) before moving over. Whats the closest my tanks need to be for this to be sucessful? Id prefer to not be chasing parameters with WCs for days lol

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and inverts will only care about temp/salinity.

Without going into details, you are usually best off targeting your parameters to the salt you are using.

Going from a high-parameter salt to a more natural parameters salt can impact your coral.

I'd recommend just moving your livestock as they don't really care and drip acclimating your coral to your new tank.

Then through your normal WC, let the tank adjust to your salt parameters.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and inverts will only care about temp/salinity.

Without going into details, you are usually best off targeting your parameters to the salt you are using.

Going from a high-parameter salt to a more natural parameters salt can impact your coral.

I'd recommend just moving your livestock as they don't really care and drip acclimating your coral to your new tank.

Then through your normal WC, let the tank adjust to your salt parameters.
Thanks for the comment. I'm still not sure why the new tank is so high in parameters, but it could just be inconsistencies from the bottom half of my RC salt. I'll start everything moving to your suggested approach. I may have been over thinking things as I don't check LFS parameters (although I probably should!) And just drip acclimate new stock. So it's the same basic idea here I would think?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment. I'm still not sure why the new tank is so high in parameters, but it could just be inconsistencies from the bottom half of my RC salt. I'll start everything moving to your suggested approach. I may have been over thinking things as I don't check LFS parameters (although I probably should!) And just drip acclimate new stock. So it's the same basic idea here I would think?

Just match temp/salinity for the livestock. No need to drip acclimate.

Drip acclimate the coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back