Controlling PH

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not... controlling it. Not really. To be honest, I am taking what I get and I don’t really like that. I am staying in the ”right range” for SPS. I normally shift between 8.2 and 8.3.... I rarely spike higher than that, but I do drop below it. Sometimes as low as 8.0.

I almost always have both a door (downstairs) partially open... It has a storm door with a pet door built in. And I keep a small window upstairs open. I can’t really get outside air to my skimmer... not easily... that would take a LONG hose. My tank is not on an outside wall. I have been able to “control” all of the other water perameter numbers into a very stable environment. I was having a problem with phosphates, but PhosGaurd in a reactor pretty much fixed that (it is still dropping)

I am not “controlling“ my PH. From what I’ve read, my SPS might just like my PH a little higher. I can’t get it higher.

Thoughts?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a CO2 Scrubber along with opening a window when feasible, and I’m usually sitting at 8.3-8.4 in the daytime. You will get a drop at night unless you have a macroalgae reactor or refugium running during the night hours. Honestly, your range sounds fine. I was struggling with pH around 7.8 until I added the scrubber because of a closed environment, two adults, two dogs and two cats expelling CO2 all day during quarantine.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a CO2 Scrubber along with opening a window when feasible, and I’m usually sitting at 8.3-8.4 in the daytime. You will get a drop at night unless you have a macroalgae reactor or refugium running during the night hours. Honestly, your range sounds fine. I was struggling with pH around 7.8 until I added the scrubber because of a closed environment, two adults, two dogs and two cats expelling CO2 all day during quarantine.
A CO2 scrubber? Do you mean an air purifier device for the room? Or something directly effecting your water? I have not done a refugium yet. If I do one, it will have to be in my quasi laundry/fish room (the room right behind my tank) I am out of room under my tank.

Sounds like you are describing my house! Only yeah, you have more lol. Me and my son and 2 dogs... but I am a smoker and yes I smoke in the room my tank is in. This room has 19’ ceilings. (Hence the reason I cant get fresh air to my scrubber)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With those values I wouldn’t chase ph

I have 18’ ceiling in my house and ran a half inch murlock line from the skimmer into the attic through the wall, from there connects to a 1” pvc that goes out to my soffit. I use a Royal Exclusiv skimmer that accepts the 1/2 murlock line

9AA23F95-C628-4C5B-AE88-C2B375B648B6.jpeg

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A CO2 scrubber? Do you mean an air purifier device for the room? Or something directly effecting your water? I have not done a refugium yet. If I do one, it will have to be in my quasi laundry/fish room (the room right behind my tank) I am out of room under my tank.

Sounds like you are describing my house! Only yeah, you have more lol. Me and my son and 2 dogs... but I am a smoker and yes I smoke in the room my tank is in. This room has 19’ ceilings. (Hence the reason I cant get fresh air to my scrubber)
The item linked above is the exact CO2 scrubber that I use. It connects to my skimmer’s air intake and scrubs the CO2 from the air being injected. This will raise your PH considerably if CO2 is pushing your values down. The monthly cost for CO2 media is about $20 so it’s not ideal, but it does the trick.

I still think your values are fine where they’re at. I wouldn’t make any changes.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With those values I wouldn’t chase ph

I have 18’ ceiling in my house and ran a half inch murlock line from the skimmer into the attic through the wall, from there connects to a 1” pvc that goes out to my soffit. I use a Royal Exclusiv skimmer that accepts the 1/2 murlock line

9AA23F95-C628-4C5B-AE88-C2B375B648B6.jpeg
I could put the CO2 scrubber in my laundry/fish room where I have my RODI system. I just might be able to get a shorter line outside that way : ) If nothing else, that room is always closed and empty of living things.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could put the CO2 scrubber in my laundry/fish room where I have my RODI system. I just might be able to get a shorter line outside that way : ) If nothing else, that room is always closed and empty of living things.
You don’t need a line outside with the scrubber. It pulls room air and removes the CO2 before it hits the tank water in the skimmer. Also, I was out of room under the tank, but it has a bracket included which let me mount it directly to the inside of the stand.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a line outside with the scrubber. It pulls room air and removes the CO2 before it hits the tank water in the skimmer. Also, I was out of room under the tank, but it has a bracket included which let me mount it directly to the inside of the stand.
Very cool... I just look at the one in the link above. He also put a pic of how it was mounted. I might try that!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato in your sump with light cycle run at night vs day. Easy way to eliminate nightly CO2 drops.

Agree with above that there's likely no issue here.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back