Controlling Viparspectra Lights

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tom - I have 2 of those 165w Viparspectra lights too and would like to mod them like Michael Lane. Do I need these boards plus something called a goby hat?
Well thats a loaded question, @Michael Lane made some great boards that will plug and play and daisy chain the signal from one light to another and only requires PWM input plus a ground. Technically you could do it with a raspberry pi running @Ranjib reef-pi software, by default raspberry pi have 2 channels of pwm, you would just connect directly to the rpi gpio headers. The reef-pi hats just make things easier and provide lots more connections beside pwm, temp, doser, ato, outlets etc. You just have to decide on which way you want to go there are several hats out there like leviathon, robo-tank and I just made up some @Michael Lane hats but leviathon and robo-tank are more plug and play so it all depends on which way you want to go...I also had some of the vipar adapter boards made up and there should be some available, if interested in the vipar boards you need to reach out to @Ranjib he should have some available.

I will say modding the vipar's even further by removing some white led's and adding led strips for moonlights really take them to the next level. Let me know if you have any questions...

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good morning all, @Tom Bishop I have a friend that has 6 x 3.5v leds in a string. these are the leds he is running, "LED, QuasarBrite, White, Through Hole, T-1 3/4 (5mm), 20 mA, 3.5 V, 2300 mcd" and is using them as a moon light looks great and shimmers nicely, is he able to connect it to a RPi running reef-pi to the 3.3v & ground pins ? or does he need something else ? I'm currently working on my Vipar lights and he is interested in running the moon lights to start off.

I have attached the spec's fr the LED in case further info is needed..

Thanks for any help he can get.

Attachments

• 1805162.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 43

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good morning all, @Tom Bishop I have a friend that has 6 x 3.5v leds in a string. these are the leds he is running, "LED, QuasarBrite, White, Through Hole, T-1 3/4 (5mm), 20 mA, 3.5 V, 2300 mcd" and is using them as a moon light looks great and shimmers nicely, is he able to connect it to a RPi running reef-pi to the 3.3v & ground pins ? or does he need something else ? I'm currently working on my Vipar lights and he is interested in running the moon lights to start off.

I have attached the spec's fr the LED in case further info is needed..

Thanks for any help he can get.
Yeah the pi does not have the amperage to drive any loads, for that you need to use a n-channel mosfet, see my earlier posts https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7464479 and it will show you what I am using, you can get them on Amazon but then you need to swap out the mosfet since the one that comes with it is not a n-channel and will reduce the lights to much. That is what you need to use if you want to run some led light strips, I assume those led strips power supply is 12v?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the pi does not have the amperage to drive any loads, for that you need to use a n-channel mosfet, see my earlier posts https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7464479 and it will show you what I am using, you can get them on Amazon but then you need to swap out the mosfet since the one that comes with it is not a n-channel and will reduce the lights to much. That is what you need to use if you want to run some led light strips, I assume those led strips power supply is 12v?
OK will look at your post, Tom they are not Strips they are individually LED light.

Also here is this guys video modifying them, but want to run them of the reef-pi

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 2.37.46 PM.png

Also found this link specific to the PI using one GPIO pin it can drive 4 LED's considering the voltage of 3.3 or 5v are used.

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK will look at your post, Tom they are not Strips they are individually LED light.

Also here is this guys video modifying them, but want to run them of the reef-pi

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 2.37.46 PM.png

Also found this link specific to the PI using one GPIO pin it can drive 4 LED's considering the voltage of 3.3 or 5v are used.

I can vouch for one led, I drive one for my ATO container, but I am not sure how many you could reliably run. Do they say how many watts one led is rated at? If you read that link that you have listed it talks about the limitation trying run them from the PI and goes on to talk about using a n-channel mosfet and separate power supply, that is how I would recommend you doing it and then you drive the mosfet with pwm, either raspberry or pca9685.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for one led, I drive one for my ATO container, but I am not sure how many you could reliably run. Do they say how many watts one led is rated at? If you read that link that you have listed it talks about the limitation trying run them from the PI and goes on to talk about using a n-channel mosfet and separate power supply, that is how I would recommend you doing it and then you drive the mosfet with pwm, either raspberry or pca9685.
Tom I was just creating a new post, for this... I attached the PDF with the LED spec's, I will attach again.

It do not see the watt's not sure if you find it... But a mosfet would not be a bad thing, how would he wire it to the mosfet considering he is applying 12v power to the mosfet seperatly considering he is wiring it in Serial ? how would the wiring be if you can help in that I did see your post with your moon lights but hnestly got lost with those black plugs did not make any sense lol...

Attachments

• 1805162-1-1.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 41

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back