Controlling Viparspectra Lights

Ninjacorgi13

View Badges
Reaction score
In that picture @Michael Lane is just using that splice point to feed the led strips which need 12v, if you splice 120v you will need a transformer to output 12v to the mosfet board and that is what he did. He mounted a transformer with heat shrink and used that to feed 12v to the mosfet. If you look for some of my posts you will see that instead of taping and converting 120v in the fixture I ran a separate 12v feed to the unit, either way works it just depends on how you want to do it.

Here is how I did it - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7528647

:)
Awesome, not sure how I missed that post of yours. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
hey Michael, can you explain the splice on the picture above? I have some LED strips here but don’t fully understand the 120v to outlet connector part.

Tom's description is accurate. Here's a simplified illustration of the purpose.

1596680966956.png

I cut the original wires and soldered one side to the original wires going to the outlet. The other side had 2 wires soldered to each terminal.

1596681503091.png

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Tom's description is accurate. Here's a simplified illustration of the purpose.

1596680966956.png

I cut the original wires and soldered one side to the original wires going to the outlet. The other side had 2 wires soldered to each terminal.

1596681503091.png

Ha mike always has prettier pitcures....lol ;)

Corals.com

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone have an update on how to get ahold of these boards since they’re out of stock on tindie?

If he provides a schematic, so you can make one on a breadboard. It won't be as neat, but it will function the same.

If not, you can achieve similar result with relays.

Viparspectra is already dimmed via PWM, so you can run a connection directly to the pi. However, it doesn't dim to zero and flickers at low levels, so you need a relay signal the controller on the viparspectra to tell it to turn off/on the power to the driver.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
If he provides a schematic, so you can make one on a breadboard. It won't be as neat, but it will function the same.

If not, you can achieve similar result with relays.

Viparspectra is already dimmed via PWM, so you can run a connection directly to the pi. However, it doesn't dim to zero and flickers at low levels, so you need a relay signal the controller on the viparspectra to tell it to turn off/on the power to the driver.
Yeah from what I hear @Michael Lane is really busy these days outside of the forum. I thought I might have purchased an extra module and looked in my bin but I do not have a spare, prolly should have bought one. I do have a Mars Aqua Board, PM if you are interested, otherwise like @AbjectMaelstroM states he does have all the schematics on github and you can make one up yourself. I think I have also seen some other postings of DIY vipar boards so you may search for them also...:)

drnibz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all, I am working on getting my reefPi up and running, I have all the boards built by @Michael Lane (goby hat, 2 light boards, ph board, dosing board, great stuff) my question/confusion how do I connect the PCA9685 to my pi and/or goby hat so that I can use the light channel in the hat to control my Viparspectra?

drnibz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. the goby hat has an onboard PCA9685 all I need to do is add the driver on the reefpi and select PC pins where needed. driver added all i need to do is test to make sure i got this right.

First Choice
Joes