Convert Quarantine to a Reef tank after using copper

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon long I used as a Quarantine tank but my build for the larger tank has stalled so the fish have been living in the tank. I started the tank around 11/1/17 and used copper for about two months. I want to make it more inhabitable for them while I finish the larger tank build. Using a copper test the water is clear of copper so I wanted to know if I could put rock and possibly corals in safely or do I need to change all of the equipment and use a new tank. I've changed the water at least twice since I stopped using the copper.

Thanks in advance!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for things like plastics to absorb some copper. Personally I would just go buy a 20g during the peptic/petsmart $1 a gallon sale. If you are hard set on using the same tank I would probably run a copper absorbing media such as cuprisorb.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it an acid rinse to remove any calcium carbonate or organic detritus deposits, then it is probably suitable. Such deposits will bind a lot more copper than plastic or glass surfaces.

I wouldn't reuse any rock or substrate in it.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time by time, you will introduce $1000 plus of the coral in a 20g tank. I think you should buy brand new 20g tank only cost 20 bucks than you lost all your coral because you want to save $20. Too risky....

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't clear about my intent sorry. I was just trying to make this space more livable for the two clowns while I'm in the process of finishing the DT, which unfortunately had to be put on temporary pause. I plan to continue to use this exclusively as a QT after they are relocated. Currently they have PVC pipe and I wanted to make it more natural for them.

If I add rock, skip the corals because I would hate to lose even a small amount, so they can have something other than PVC as their habitat, that should be okay right? Figure 20# of dead rock would be more than enough, and relatively inexpensive.

I know to remove the rock when I use it later to medicate any new inhabitants. And it appears I should not use the rock in the display so I won't do that.

This is completely temporary so I didn't want to buy new powerheads, hob filter etc. Maybe get the new equipment and cycle the 20g tall i have for the clowns with rock. Can I QT coral while keeping the clowns in there?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I QT coral while keeping the clowns in there?

Not if you are quarantining ti prevent fish disease. Ich/velvet can encyst on there, so you'd possibly expose the fish. .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back