Convert sump ATO reservoir to a refugium

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys -

I have a Waterbox 130 with their sump. The sump has a built in ATO reservoir and I would like to convert it to a refugium. Has anyone modified their sump to achieve this and if so can you please post some photos?

Thanks

PookieGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and the same desire. I have seen pics ( can’t recall where) of people that use a maxi jet and a run a U shaped pipe up and over the wall into the ato chamber. The pipe usually outputs near the bottom. The water fills the entire chamber and waterfalls back over into the skimmer and return section.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe you are right. They used a maxijet and U pipe from a hang on overflow. I don't trust them and the last thing I need is flooded wood floors. I am considering drilling two holes in the reservoir one from the skimmer side and another slightly higher on the return side. I would like to find someone who has already done this before I am the guinea pig.

PookieGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe you are right. They used a maxijet and U pipe from a hang on overflow. I don't trust them and the last thing I need is flooded wood floors. I am considering drilling two holes in the reservoir one from the skimmer side and another slightly higher on the return side. I would like to find someone who has already done this before I am the guinea pig.

I know what you mean. My skimmer would be a perfect fit in the ato chamber. I thought about drilling holes between that chamber and the main chamber, but i don’t know if that would create some kind of back pressure for the slimmer. The advantage would be a large Fuge.

PepperDeath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m either gonna drill holes and put my skimmer in there or make a hang on the side algae scrubber. When my tank gets here I will figure something out.I hate that it comes with that spot blocked off for an ato.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back