Converting ETSS skimmer to a pinwheel skimmer

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this? Using Google to look for info has brought up little to nothing. I like to build things, hence my career choice of machinist. Its also part of why I like reef tanks, lots oh fun gadgets. Also trying to keep my budget for my 450 gallon build moderate so my wife doesn't kill me :)

I started looking into this due to two factors:
1. I picked up a ETSS 1400XR for $80
2. I have a Reeflo Dart Gold with a Orca impeller setting here

So what I was thinking of doing is:
1. Shorten the down draft tubes and remove the bio-balls.
2. Turn into a recirculating, buy turning the original output into the input for the pump.
3. Add a 3/4"uniseal too the skimmer body for in feed and another 1" bulkhead to the skimmer box for return.
4. Add a slanted piece of acrylic in front of the pump input and aquarium return to create a bit of a bubble trap

So onto the questions:
Has anyone else tried this or something similar?
Anyone have any ideas or input?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do this and ETSS skimmer work very well You would do better to make a skimmer designed for a pin wheel skimmer. The down draft tubes of and ETSS is designed to produce more air bubbles than a pinwheel skimmer.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do this and ETSS skimmer work very well You would do better to make a skimmer designed for a pin wheel skimmer. The down draft tubes of and ETSS is designed to produce more air bubbles than a pinwheel skimmer.

The ETSS skimmers are a little loud and at 4ft tall will not fit under my stand. Would sell outright, lol.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the inside of the skimmer wouldn't work with any other design. I remember when they first came out. Old Friend Tony Vargas brought them to market. I made one out of 4 inch pvc after 12 hours of running what a head of foam it had.:) Yes they made shorter tube models for people wanting to install them under a stand eventually.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you say that? Internally it looks just like my MRC Beckett skimmer and very similar to my old life reef ventura skimmer.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach
Dont doooo ittt. You will not get the proformance out of the skimmer as it is intended. Sell it off and get a LifeReef external. Your monster tank deserves a monster skimmer. If ya need to build a cabinet around the ext. skimmer. LOL

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say this because I know the designer of the ETSS skimmer. [emoji3] An having used and built skimmers since 1984. [emoji3]

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current diy skimmer I run at night and I've made a new 1 for 75g sump with a drain on cup so it doesn't overfill or have 2 clean often. And this thing skims more then my friends tunze or skimz hob and break in is 20 mins for wood 2 saturate as I let it soak out of tank 2 not lose its "prime". I love a 9$ total skimmer do more then a lot of my friends 180+$ skimmers and all I did was make it wider vs taller.

image.jpg

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slim mate after 45 mins setup b4 I go 2 sleep. It's a 30g no sump. Was workn on a HOB for friends 2 buy but now I'm goin sump so not worth it unless I feel the need 2 build it

image.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back