Convict tang is freaking out - jerking movement

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Convict Tang started doing exhibiting some weird behavior. You can see it in the video that I attached. It’s hard to explain but he’ll be swimming around the tank and then he’ll stop in an area and kind of jerk back-and-forth for a few seconds and then swim on. I noticed him doing it a week or so ago, but it was only one time. He’s been doing it quite a bit today. Any thoughts?

He’s eating and swimming normally (other than the jerking). He’s been a bit manic since day one. He’s been with us for just about a month.

Attachments

• IMG_3576.mov
    18.8 MB

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as though he is seeing his reflection on the glass....this could oass with time....you could try putting something dark on that side outside the tank to absorb the light so it is not as reflective....

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as though he is seeing his reflection on the glass....this could oass with time....you could try putting something dark on that side outside the tank to absorb the light so it is not as reflective....
I see how it can look like that from the video, but I don't think that is the issue. He's doing it quite often and in places where he can't see his reflection. It almost looks like he's trying to hack something up like a dog or cat would.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know several people that have a hard time with convict tangs and keeping them thriving. has to do with the way they are ccollected. when purchased do you know how long the lfs had the fish in there store?.... #fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish appears to be trying to dislodge something from mouth . What foods are you feeding it?
Additionally, it appears as a behavior my clown tang was doing and I dosed prazipro and it stopped 3 days after suggesting to me may be gill irritation or flukes. Often with flukes, you will behaviors such as fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation. Some of these signs are noticeable.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know several people that have a hard time with convict tangs and keeping them thriving. has to do with the way they are ccollected. when purchased do you know how long the lfs had the fish in there store?.... #fishmedic
This is the first fish that I bought from this particular shop. They quarantine all of their fish for 14 days upon arrival and they are Humble Fish Certified quarantined livestock vendor. The fish was about 3 weeks out of QT when I bought him

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish appears to be trying to dislodge something from mouth . What foods are you feeding it?
Additionally, it appears as a behavior my clown tang was doing and I dosed prazipro and it stopped 3 days after suggesting to me may be gill irritation or flukes. Often with flukes, you will behaviors such as fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation. Some of these signs are noticeable.
I was thinking flukes or some kind of obstruction. I feed a mix of Mysis, brine shrimp, pellets, ROE, nori, and Reef Frenzy. My flame Angel is very particular about the size of the food that she eats so I tend to dice things up pretty well. Of all the symptoms that you mentioned the only thing that the convict is doing other than this jerking is darting around the tank occasionally. But he has always done that. He’s been a bit manic the whole time I’ve had him.

Glad to hear about PraziPro. I treated the tank with it today. I just did the 1tbs per 20 gallons.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the first fish that I bought from this particular shop. They quarantine all of their fish for 14 days upon arrival and they are Humble Fish Certified quarantined livestock vendor. The fish was about 3 weeks out of QT when I bought him
Its rare to get one of these guys that eat and are not skinny and great to see. Quarantined fish are of advantage but its also a myth that QT fish are clean and ready to go into tank. Often, It is recommended although quarantined, assume the fish has something foreign and I aways suggest to do at least a mini quarantine of 14-21 days on your own as an assurance that fish is free of protozoan and worms/ flukes that can be introduced with other fish and even coral.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was thinking flukes or some kind of obstruction. I feed a mix of Mysis, brine shrimp, pellets, ROE, nori, and Reef Frenzy. My flame Angel is very particular about the size of the food that she eats so I tend to dice things up pretty well. Of all the symptoms that you mentioned the only thing that the convict is doing other than this jerking is darting around the tank occasionally. But he has always done that. He’s been a bit manic the whole time I’ve had him.

Glad to hear about PraziPro. I treated the tank with it today. I just did the 1tbs per 20 gallons.
With prazi, now that you entered it into the tank, this is known as an interval which will last for 8 days, do a water change day 9 and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With prazi, now that you entered it into the tank, this is known as an interval which will last for 8 days, do a water change day 9 and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Thanks for the reminder on the air stones! Totally forgot that. I’ll follow the 8 day plan. Thanks!

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its rare to get one of these guys that eat and are not skinny and great to see. Quarantined fish are of advantage but its also a myth that QT fish are clean and ready to go into tank. Often, It is recommended although quarantined, assume the fish has something foreign and I aways suggest to do at least a mini quarantine of 14-21 days on your own as an assurance that fish is free of protozoan and worms/ flukes that can be introduced with other fish and even coral.
And he eats like a beast! Never stops grazing in the rocks. I really hope I can get him through this. He’s such a cool fish!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see how it can look like that from the video, but I don't think that is the issue. He's doing it quite often and in places where he can't see his reflection. It almost looks like he's trying to hack something up like a dog or cat would.

I agree - the motions coincide with it "biting" on something. I don't see anything in the water it could be going for though. I've seen the same thing in fish fed live baby brine shrimp - they go crazy eating it, but from a few feet away, you can't see the brine and it looks like they are just chewing on empty water.

It could also be trying to dislodge some algae from its teeth like @vetteguy said.

Jay

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
He was fine yesterday (Friday) morning and that gave me some relief. But he started doing it again in the afternoon and even more last night. So far today he is fine. Swimming normally, grazing on the rocks, etc. I'm starting to think it may only happen after he eats.

When I feed them, he is the first one to eat and he eats ferociously. It's like he tries to eat all the food, regardless of size. I wonder if that is the problem. I haven't fed them yet today and he's fine. I'll keep an eye on him after feeding today and see if we run into the same issue.

We are about about 2 days into the PraziProl treatment cycle, so that may be helping as well. I guess I'll know more after they eat today.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed massitck and nori strips today. I figured this way he could control the amount of food he was taking in each bite. He ate like a nutcase (as usual) and started "twitching" shortly after eating began. I don't know if this proves anything really... but this feels like some kind of issue with his mouth/throat/stomach... i'm at a loss... he is fine otherwise... but yeah, i'm stumped

Jan86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed massitck and nori strips today. I figured this way he could control the amount of food he was taking in each bite. He ate like a nutcase (as usual) and started "twitching" shortly after eating began. I don't know if this proves anything really... but this feels like some kind of issue with his mouth/throat/stomach... i'm at a loss... he is fine otherwise... but yeah, i'm stumped
How is the fish? I got convict 2 days ago and its doing just the same behaviour

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back