Yellow Tang and Convict Tang

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am looking to add a second tang to my 125G reef tank. I have a small BIOTA yellow tang currently that’s been with me for about four months. He’s been a great fish and been a model tank mate. I’ve always wanted a convict tang and was thinking of purchasing one to add to my tank. I’ve done some research and Convicts tend to be one of the least aggressive surgeonfish. If the Convict tang I purchase is larger than my Yellow, do I have better odds the Yellow will not pick on the Convict?

Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the individual fish’s, most yellow tangs are fine, but I have had several that were down right nasty to otherfish.

I did have a convict tang, they are very passive and easily bullied by other fish all you can do is try it. You could add the convict in a fish trap for protection until they get used to each other. This is how I always add new fish these days. Just leave it for several hours or longer (with food) and see how they all react.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the individual fish’s, most yellow tangs are fine, but I have had several that were down right nasty to otherfish.

I did have a convict tang, they are very passive and easily bullied by other fish all you can do is try it. You could add the convict in a fish trap for protection until they get used to each other. This is how I always add new fish these days. Just leave it for several hours or longer (with food) and see how they all react.
What kind of fish trap is large enough? I have a good size fish trap, but think it would stress out a fish if kept in there for an extended amount of time.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biota yellow is one of my nastier fish to new editions. Beautiful but nasty! I would think a bigger convict might help but my yellow chases fish that are way bigger than him so you would just have to see what kind of temperament yours has toward him. I use a breeder box and leave new fish in for a little so they can see them since my yellow, purple and regal always form a “hunting party” and chase the new fish as a trio

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish trap is large enough? I have a good size fish trap, but think it would stress out a fish if kept in there for an extended amount of time.
I use this, they dont need to be it to long really so will be fine

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang that is probably 3.5” that has been in tank for 3-4 yrs since small. It has never bothered anything. I am considering adding another tang as well and really like the convict appearance.

My tank is 5’ 150gal and I recently rearranged the scape. I would only get QT fish.

I am also adding a few anthias, filefish and some juvenile angels down the line.

Think I should try a larger convict or wait till everything is in and add a powder blue or gold rim/white cheek?

I can try the isolation box or mirror if necessary, but trying to think which to attempt and when to add it.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I agree that individual fish are just that- individuals, and their behavior differs accordingly, anyone who tells you that Convict tangs are not aggressive has not been successful with, or kept them long term. It is true that, while young, they tend to be more "passive" as far as Acanthurus species go. I would categorize them with Lavenders and Chocolates in that respect. That being said, however, as they grow and mature, they are super aggressive. Not as bad as say a PBT or purple, but in the absence of those two, they will become the tank boss in a 125.

With that in mind, it will have no problem with the yellow at all, and should you choose to add a third, smaller tang such as a Ctenochaetus, it (the Convict) will even keep the Yellow's aggression in check. As always, when introducing a new tang to your "gang", prepare to do a 48 hour blackout. Wrap the tank (I use a roll of gift wrapping paper) and turn out all the lights.

I have seven tangs: Orange Striated, White-Tailed, Chocolate, Lavender, Yellow, Gem, and Convict, and my Convict is by far my favorite fish. Nothing too fancy or flashy, but a great addition to your tank. Congrats and best of luck.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict tangs are not aggressive has not been successful with, or kept them long term.
What do you consider long term? I've had my convict over 2.5 years.
My convict is in with a purple, yellow, Naso, and hippo and shows zero aggression as do the other tangs. I did have to remove a second yellow a while back due to aggression from the other yellow. My first convict was with me a little over 2 years when it passed. That one did not show any aggression either. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:
My tang gang. Tank is 72x24x24"
20240113_124010.jpg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My convict is in with a purple, yellow, Naso, and hippo and shows zero aggression as do the other tangs. I did have to remove a second yellow a while back due to aggression from the other yellow. My first convict was with me a little over 2 years when it passed. That one did not show any aggression either. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:
20240113_124010.jpg
5 years+

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20240113_124010.jpg
Gorgeous!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope this one makes it that long. The Naso and purple have been with me going on 7 years and the hippo approaching 5 years so I have my hopes up. I love buying little fish and growing them out.
If the others are doing that well, I'd say they are very well cared for and you should expect nothing less. ;)

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that individual fish are just that- individuals, and their behavior differs accordingly, anyone who tells you that Convict tangs are not aggressive has not been successful with, or kept them long term. It is true that, while young, they tend to be more "passive" as far as Acanthurus species go. I would categorize them with Lavenders and Chocolates in that respect. That being said, however, as they grow and mature, they are super aggressive. Not as bad as say a PBT or purple, but in the absence of those two, they will become the tank boss in a 125.

With that in mind, it will have no problem with the yellow at all, and should you choose to add a third, smaller tang such as a Ctenochaetus, it (the Convict) will even keep the Yellow's aggression in check. As always, when introducing a new tang to your "gang", prepare to do a 48 hour blackout. Wrap the tank (I use a roll of gift wrapping paper) and turn out all the lights.

I have seven tangs: Orange Striated, White-Tailed, Chocolate, Lavender, Yellow, Gem, and Convict, and my Convict is by far my favorite fish. Nothing too fancy or flashy, but a great addition to your tank. Congrats and best of luck.

So you don't feed fish for 2 days? Have you found this two day. Blackout to almost be a "reset of the tank" similar to re-aquascaping?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you don't feed fish for 2 days? Have you found this two day. Blackout to almost be a "reset of the tank" similar to re-aquascaping?
You still feed, and yes- when the lights come back on, zero aggression.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the fish eat the food when there is no ambient light and no lighting? Am I missing something? thanks for the info

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back