Yellow tang

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on a lot of factors. Yellow tangs can be pretty aggressive once established and especially in smaller tanks should be the last fish added. How big is the tank? Is it cycled? What else is going into the tank?

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on a lot of factors. Yellow tangs can be pretty aggressive once established and especially in smaller tanks should be the last fish added. How big is the tank? Is it cycled? What else is going into the tank?
Tank is a 40. No ammonia or nitrite for over a week now. Have two clowns in the tank now. Maybe 10 fish total plus clean up crew.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the tang police and I keep a yellow and a bristle tooth in a 36x24x24 tank. For those that are the tang police I have larger tanks available up and running ;) . That said I would not place a yellow in 40g with a pair of clowns. Especially if its one of the small captive bred ones.

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the tang police and I keep a yellow and a bristle tooth in a 36x24x24 tank. For those that are the tang police I have larger tanks available up and running ;) . That said I would not place a yellow in 40g with a pair of clowns. Especially if its one of the small captive bred ones.
Then I would have to really solely on the cleanup crew to keep the algae under control. ?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would have to really solely on the cleanup crew to keep the algae under control. ?
Your call. Just offering my oppinion based on my limited experience keeping both tangs and clownfish. I've also seen the captive bred yellows and they are very tiny and IMO one would not stand a chance against a clown if the clown decides to go after it which is very likely with clowns but they may also be fine. Theres a saying about oppinions so take mine for what its worth ;)

EDIT maybe consider a bristle tooth. They do a great job grazing on algae in the tank. You should also be able to find one larger than the captive bred yellows so it would stand a better chance with the clowns. They also don't get as large as a yellow and could possible be homed permanently in a 40g

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're running a sump that's like twice the size of that tank with massively oversized filtration options even outside space requirements for each fish, you'd be massively overstocked for bioload at 10 fish with one of them being a yellow tang in a 40 gallon tank.

And again, that's not including each individual fish's space and and territory requirements.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in a 40 gallon tank is a bit much. Especially with a Tang being fairly large when it's grown. I'd probably hold off until you get the 125 up and running.

I had 15 in a 90 and it was pretty much maxed out.

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your call. Just offering my oppinion based on my limited experience keeping both tangs and clownfish. I've also seen the captive bred yellows and they are very tiny and IMO one would not stand a chance against a clown if the clown decides to go after it which is very likely with clowns but they may also be fine. Theres a saying about oppinions so take mine for what its worth ;)

EDIT maybe consider a bristle tooth. They do a great job grazing on algae in the tank. You should also be able to find one larger than the captive bred yellows so it would stand a better chance with the clowns. They also don't get as large as a yellow and could possible be homed permanently in a 40g
My clowns are small. Just over an inch. If I can avoid conflicts I will. This is a new setup so I'm not rushing anything. Just researching for the future. I am for sure upgrading to a bigger tank, just getting back into the reef game with this tank.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 40. No ammonia or nitrite for over a week now. Have two clowns in the tank now. Maybe 10 fish total plus clean up crew.
10 fish is a lot for that size tank not going to say you can't add more especially for short term but it seems like you are going to have some territory issues and a large bio load. If the tang is captive breed it should tolerate the size tank ok. I just worry for your water quality with the number of fish.

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in a 40 gallon tank is a bit much. Especially with a Tang being fairly large when it's grown. I'd probably hold off until you get the 125 up and running.

I had 15 in a 90 and it was pretty much maxed out.
What happened was I was planning on the 75 gal. but the stand needs some reconstruction to fix a sump under it. So the plan was originally in a couple more months. But I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. $1 a pound for premium rock. I mean right out of an 8 yr old system. Saved myself a $1000. So I had to put something together in a pinch. Thinking now I can get what I want and living happily together before I put it in a permanent home.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are small. Just over an inch. If I can avoid conflicts I will. This is a new setup so I'm not rushing anything. Just researching for the future. I am for sure upgrading to a bigger tank, just getting back into the reef game with this tank.
I get it.
Please don't think I'm being a negative nanny, I'm just trying to help out for yours and the animals sake. Did you place two small clowns in together assuming one will turn female and the other stay male or did you get a bonded pair? If its the latter you can disregard the following but maybe it will help someone else out. Reason I ask is because placing two juvenile clowns in together hoping one turns female and the other stays male may or may not work. If it works out, great. But there's a possibility they may both decide to change which will most likely result in the death of one. I tend to be a realist and look for the worst case scenario then try to avoid it. When I pair clowns I always introduce a single fish and wait until it transitions to female then I introduce a male. I tend to be a little cautious when adding fish as I've had the issues I'm describing above and hope others do not have to experience it. Its pretty tough for me to watch a fish trying to kill another. Things go well for a few months then all of sudden folks wonder why their clownfish are fighting all of a sudden. The post are here many times just like that. I wish you great success and nothing less.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back