Yellow tang

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not planning on growing the fish out in the 40.
in that case I'd recommend you just set up the larger tank in the first place - it's not kind to the fish otherwise. I'm not one of those extreme tang police that thinks you need a 100000 gallon tank for any tang, but I can tell you I purchased a 1.5" biota yellow tang and he immediately utilized all available swimming space in my 70 gallon display. Anything smaller is a genuine disservice to the fish, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it.
Please don't think I'm being a negative nanny, I'm just trying to help out for yours and the animals sake. Did you place two small clowns in together assuming one will turn female and the other stay male or did you get a bonded pair? If its the latter you can disregard the following but maybe it will help someone else out. Reason I ask is because placing two juvenile clowns in together hoping one turns female and the other stays male may or may not work. If it works out, great. But there's a possibility they may both decide to change which will most likely result in the death of one. I tend to be a realist and look for the worst case scenario then try to avoid it. When I pair clowns I always introduce a single fish and wait until it transitions to female then I introduce a male. I tend to be a little cautious when adding fish as I've had the issues I'm describing above and hope others do not have to experience it. Its pretty tough for me to watch a fish trying to kill another. Things go well for a few months then all of sudden folks wonder why their clownfish are fighting all of a sudden. The post are here many times just like that. I wish you great success and nothing less.

in that case I'd recommend you just set up the larger tank in the first place - it's not kind to the fish otherwise. I'm not one of those extreme tang police that thinks you need a 100000 gallon tank for any tang, but I can tell you I purchased a 1.5" biota yellow tang and he immediately utilized all available swimming space in my 70 gallon display. Anything smaller is a genuine disservice to the fish, in my humble opinion.
I am putting everything in a 70, but I need to make it so a sump can fit in the stand.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back