Convict Tangs

BeachBumTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a plan to put three tangs in at once. My goal was a sailfin, a bristletooth, and a convict tang. Was discussing with my local fish shop owner and he mention that convict tangs have a poor success rate. He says many if them die within days after receiving them.

Have any of y'all seen this? Thoughts?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I have a plan to put three tangs in at once. My goal was a sailfin, a bristletooth, and a convict tang. Was discussing with my local fish shop owner and he mention that convict tangs have a poor success rate. He says many if them die within days after receiving them.

I've had several. Never had any die within days though I've never purchased one from a LFS. One issue with them is that sometimes they are collected with cyanide. This seems to have long term effects on them. I've had some that appear to have seizures randomly. They did this for months and eventually passed away. I think I lost 3 like this in the past. I actually currently have a group of 3 together. They're doing great. I've never seen such hard workers live the convict tangs.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to consider drreefsquarantinedfish.com and skip the concern of illness.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Yes- Convict tangs have been coming in either too small for stability or are simply not eating and wither away until death. I have suspicion regarding how they are bering caught (cyanide and other chemical) opposed to net caught. Its reasons like this why Hawaii was shut down - The amount of loss after collection and not sure what to say as to where/who is a trusted source for good convict tang but I have personally seen high loss rates over last 6 months

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back