Cooking rock

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

Im an old school reefer (20+ years). I am recycling rock. Using a formula that has seemingly worked. I have about 60 lbs rock I am recycling from several year dry and its cycling. 4.5 ppm NH3 and 1.56 ppm NO4. I was thinking of doing a water change on the tub but am I too soon? The tank it's destined for isn't up yet (waiting for rock) but the last time I did this it shortcut the cycle time because I exported the crap leeching out. I would love your thoughts.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if your rock is truly finished 'cycling' and you've finished the Nitrate cycle, I'd start weekly 100% WCs and watch to see your PO4 drop.
Truly 'cured' rock is free of phosphates.

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cycling it for nitrification purposes, or “cooking” it, which is usually a long slow process of letting bacteria consume organic crap in it?
Hybrid as this rock was washed, scrubbed, soaked, and dried for 2 years. I am 0's across the board at this point, well .003 PPM Po4 but not worried about that. About to fill the new tank and put the rock on for a litte more cooking in tank.

Back