• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Cool new gadget to allow optical switches to give off a float switch signal

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've become a regular customer of this guy at printed3d.parts and he reached out to me letting me know about a new product he is going to be releasing soon offering to let me in at presale but I literally had just purchased the ATK so I didnt need it.

I found a video he made for it on his site which you can see here.
https://printed3d.parts/soss-coming-soon/

Knowing this guy i sure the price will be great!

From my understanding it basically allows you to turn an apex breakout box into something more like an FMM because it allows you to use optical sensors. Only down side would be not having a port to connect a PMUP into but im sure anyone can use a regular plug pump and control the pump with these optical switches. Would definitely save a lot of money over the price of an ATK with anyone wanting an Apex tied ATO system or any other Apex tied uses for optical sensors.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome- was just looking at how to do the circuits for optical sensors to replace all my floats. Depending on price, this would make things a lot easier. I already have the parts for 2 diy breakout boxes

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome- was just looking at how to do the circuits for optical sensors to replace all my floats. Depending on price, this would make things a lot easier. I already have the parts for 2 diy breakout boxes

I was told a rough estimate of what he was planning on getting for it. Its basically just above what it costs him for all the materials. He is a very cool and honest guy. What price would you looking to buy it for? I think he is looking for some feedback from the community on price point so I'm sure he would like the input.

I think he was looking to do a package deal with 2 or 4 float switches with magnetic holders, the base unit, power cord and wires to connect into a breakout box like device (2 wires from each lead)

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would you want it in the current color configuration or a customized color for a few extra dollars?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wiring inside isn’t super complex, so it’s the time saving and form factor that appeal to me. Custom colors would be neat, for a few more dollars. I’d actually prefer green leds, for no other reason than I psychologically think red is ‘off’. Flip/flop red/green leds would be awesome- but I know that kicks up the wiring complexity.

A package with 4 sensors, mounts, power and cables sounds like a great idea. Maybe make the output wires 10 feet -or better yet, multiplex them into a cat5 cable- with each twisted pair being being a n output pair. Leave the end unterminated and it’ll be a plug and play fit with a break out box.

Honestly, I can see paying $25-30for a basic white, single color led model. Custom color and red/green leds and cat5 output cable would put it around $40-45.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss- hopefully we’ll see this out there soon!

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told a rough estimate of what he was planning on getting for it. Its basically just above what it costs him for all the materials. He is a very cool and honest guy. What price would you looking to buy it for? I think he is looking for some feedback from the community on price point so I'm sure he would like the input.

I think he was looking to do a package deal with 2 or 4 float switches with magnetic holders, the base unit, power cord and wires to connect into a breakout box like device (2 wires from each lead)

Out and f interest, what was he thinking in terms of price?

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wiring inside isn’t super complex, so it’s the time saving and form factor that appeal to me. Custom colors would be neat, for a few more dollars. I’d actually prefer green leds, for no other reason than I psychologically think red is ‘off’. Flip/flop red/green leds would be awesome- but I know that kicks up the wiring complexity.

A package with 4 sensors, mounts, power and cables sounds like a great idea. Maybe make the output wires 10 feet -or better yet, multiplex them into a cat5 cable- with each twisted pair being being a n output pair. Leave the end unterminated and it’ll be a plug and play fit with a break out box.

Honestly, I can see paying $25-30for a basic white, single color led model. Custom color and red/green leds and cat5 output cable would put it around $40-45.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss- hopefully we’ll see this out there soon!

Awesome feedback, I will relay the message. You're saying $25-30 for just the stand alone box with no wiring, power supply, and optical sensors, or is that the price you were looking for the whole package for.

I'm not sure if im allowed to post the price here as I dont really want to break and forum rules and im not sure if that would be considered vending or something. I will pass on the feedback you posted here. As for the approximate price, I will say he was coming in higher than that for the package deal. I dont recall him telling me what a price would be for just the white/black unit with single color leds.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$25-30 would be for the base unit, 2 sensors and mounts, power supply and wires. Like in his video on the site. I’d probably be tempted to diy it myself if it was much above that, but all I’d have to buy is the inexpensive eBay sensors. I have the rest in my project boxes. I’m probably coming in low because I priced most of it out last week looking at how to do this and that’s around a 30% markup on what I could get parts for.

I might go $60 for a complete 4 sensor package in blue if the finish was great. The example in the video is ‘good’ but still looks like a diy, so I’d be hard pressed to pay that. But maybe an acetone fog to get rid of the print lines (whatever the material calls for) and some straighter connector points, sure, I could see $60.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess maybe thats why hes coming in higher than you. 30% mark up doesnt sound like much for something that seems pretty labor intensive and needs to be assembled. Im not in any business but that sounds more like a markup that stores probably use for items they purchase, put on shelves as is and sell.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s about my cutoff. If I price out the components, and it retails 130% of that, I tend to diy. But I kind of enjoy it.

Saying that- I have a 2 year old, and 1 more did August. And a new house that needs lots of work. I don’t have as much tinkering time as I’d like, so If his price is good, why not?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back