Neptune Magnetic Optical Sensor Won't Switch States

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a magnetic optical sensor to my return section so I can get an alert when the water is low and to trigger the return pump to turn off until I reset it. Most likely unnecessary, but it gives me peace of mind to keep the return pump from running dry and causing a fire or other issues. I dod not lower the sensor far enough and everything was kicked off, as expected, but when I lowered the sensor it never switched back to closed. I wait about 15 minutes and eventually unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in. This resolved the issue. Any ideas as to why the sensror status never switched to closed when it was moved under water?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that too much or direct light will cause them to stick, is this one mounted in the dark? Or was a tank light hitting the sensor? It could also be a bad componant in the logic loop. Sensor, input pin, port, wire etc. I would try the light issue first then if possible another port on the apex or swap it with another sensor. If the issue follows with the move, you have a faulty sensor.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you verifying?WEith your Apex Module? Are you certain that you are looking at the right port? Have you tried swapping ports?

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that too much or direct light will cause them to stick, is this one mounted in the dark? Or was a tank light hitting the sensor? It could also be a bad componant in the logic loop. Sensor, input pin, port, wire etc. I would try the light issue first then if possible another port on the apex or swap it with another sensor. If the issue follows with the move, you have a faulty sensor.

This is in the dark in the back of the sump. I do have 2 other ports and 1 sensor that I can test out.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you verifying?WEith your Apex Module? Are you certain that you are looking at the right port? Have you tried swapping ports?
I am using the apex app on my phone and ipad. I force closed and reopened the app on both multiple times. During this I saw changes to other sensors. I am looking at the correct port. I have not tried swapping ports yet

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
make sure your sensor plugs are fully seated. mine feel like they are in but until it clicks it isn't truly in.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using the apex app on my phone and ipad. I force closed and reopened the app on both multiple times. During this I saw changes to other sensors. I am looking at the correct port. I have not tried swapping ports yet
I suggest that you unlock and drag all your switches into the foreground. Plug it into a new port. Switches are normally open meaning you will see an Open state when they are dry. Put your sensor under water in a glass of water. Search for the switch that states CLOSED. Your programming will want to trigger when the switch goes OPEN if its normal state is under water. I can help with the programming once you identify the switch. In this first screenshot, the SWX5_1/2/3 is not in the foreground. As you can see, they are Open. As you can see in the second screenshot, SW1 is in the foreground. It is closed because it sits in the water. My programming will trigger on OPEN once it is not wet.
Screenshot_20240120_174133_APEXFusion.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_174312_APEXFusion.jpg

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Unfortunately the switch was under water and never switched back to closed. The programming worked for kicking everything off, but the trouble began when the status never changed back after being under water.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a bad switch bro. Soak it in vinegar for a night and confirm that it's the switch. I'd be hesitant to buy another. Is this the new magnetic one or the old school one? I run a different kind for my skimmer. It's rock solid and the cord doesn't get wet. I could help you implement this if you have a spare outlet on your Apex and have one that can sense current (amps) on individual outlets. What we would do is draw current with a small LED or something that draws a little power. It's normal state would be 0 amps. Once the water would get low, the component would be powered raising the outlets current >0 and we could use that as a trigger. I am highly satisfied with this device!
Screenshot_20240120_190151_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thank you! Unfortunately the switch was under water and never switched back to closed. The programming worked for kicking everything off, but the trouble began when the status never changed back after being under water.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the newer version and was just put in use a few hours before this issue occurred. Guess I'll submit a ticket to neptune. I will have to look into that switch. I do have an open outlet on my apex, but was planning on using it for something else. Thank you for your help and I'll definitely reach out if I go the route you suggested.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I've heard plenty of negative reviews on the new level sensors, I haven't heard anything bad on the opticals. Maybe you just got a lemon. They are hard to get ahold of. I suggest calling 20min before they close. That's the only way I have been able to get ahold of them this past year. I've stayed on hold for hours too...

If you have a meter, you can try a continuity test by putting one lead on the tip of the pin and the other on the side. It should ring when wet. If it does, it's not the sensor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back