Coolest Aquascape/I'm doing it :)

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on doing something like this for my new 40B. Gonna use Dry rock, and Loctite 5min epoxy to hold it together. Any thoughts?
bonzai-tree-aquascaping.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I love that tank! That's on of my favorites! Can't wait to see yours!

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am kind worried though. I'm not sure if I can get the overhangs to reach throughout the tank. I dont wanna have too much open space. Should I do 2 smaller ones of these?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do one..or just leave it..looks awsome either way!!!!

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont want to drill into the rocks. And with the rods, it seems the rocks would kind of swing back and forth Unless I glue them but idk if I could trust the glue.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I moght do one big one and then put a little rock on one side for a nice big RBTA!

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, I is not a fan of nems :/ They eat to many things.... what about a big aussie golden torch?? :D And have an acan and ric garded around it, and my zoa collection on the other side of the rocks? And all my SPS on the rocks?

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try kraylen's method. He used crazy glue and aquamend. I'm not too sure how well it will hold up the weight of a rock extended like that. Maybe if you try the rod in conjunction with the aquamend and crazy glue. I'd imagine that should keep it all stable. I've thought of do something like this myself. Be sure to take plenty of pics to share with the rest of us.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the rods with the epoxy, the rods will hold everything largely in place with the epoxy creating a stronger bond. On it's own, the epoxy might fail though.

Also, in a 40, you might want to do one larger branch/ledge. I recently redid my tank getting rid of some spires and overhangs as in my tiny tank (34 gal) there just wasnt enough space for corals. If I had a bigger tank with larger fish swimming around it'd look gorgeous, but in a coral tank that just happens to have some fish, i felt like I was cheating myself out of landscape

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try kraylen's method. He used crazy glue and aquamend. I'm not too sure how well it will hold up the weight of a rock extended like that. Maybe if you try the rod in conjunction with the aquamend and crazy glue. I'd imagine that should keep it all stable. I've thought of do something like this myself. Be sure to take plenty of pics to share with the rest of us.
Hmm. So your saying stick the rod through the rocks with loctite epoxy (not gonna use aquamend... heard epoxy works better from a guy who has used both) on the rod?
I may try that on the rock that sticks out, but where Would I put the other end of the rod? Idk if the tall rock would be wide enough to stick the rod through and support it.

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the rods with the epoxy, the rods will hold everything largely in place with the epoxy creating a stronger bond. On it's own, the epoxy might fail though.

Also, in a 40, you might want to do one larger branch/ledge. I recently redid my tank getting rid of some spires and overhangs as in my tiny tank (34 gal) there just wasnt enough space for corals. If I had a bigger tank with larger fish swimming around it'd look gorgeous, but in a coral tank that just happens to have some fish, i felt like I was cheating myself out of landscape
well the tall rock will only be like 6" Wide. Would it able to support the overhang without tipping over? Also the over hang will be like 8-10". How would I drill a hole all the way through that? Or would I stop like 4" in?

Also I am thinking about glue my SPS down onto the rock and fragging them when they grow. Can I frag them underwater? Or will I have to chizel the piece off the rock and frag outside the tank?

Last edited:

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape!!!
The epoxy alone isn't going to hold that much, add White Portland Cement, it worked for me pretty good. My tank is only 4 months old, sorry for the algae.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, I is not a fan of nems :/ They eat to many things.... what about a big aussie golden torch?? :D And have an acan and ric garded around it, and my zoa collection on the other side of the rocks? And all my SPS on the rocks?

Exucess me!Your talken to mr.anemone here!...lol...jk...anemones like BTAs dont eat many fish,only if the fish is weak or sick!I have never had an an anemone eat a fish before,so it kinda rare for it to happen if they are healthy and its a BTA!Just a little advise!

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Anyone else ever used the White Portland Cement? Where did you hear about it from Luisra? How much did you use?

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exucess me!Your talken to mr.anemone here!...lol...jk...anemones like BTAs dont eat many fish,only if the fish is weak or sick!I have never had an an anemone eat a fish before,so it kinda rare for it to happen if they are healthy and its a BTA!Just a little advise!

I saw some pictures of a Green Carpet eating a yellow tang... so I am no longer a fan of nems haha

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a smartalec (well I am, but trying to be polite as opposed to a jerk) you can drill through any length rock with a long enough drill bit. Most rock is actually old coral, so you'd be surprised it's not as hard to drill as you might think. My experience with overhangs is secure the bloody jebezus out of them. Even if you think it's secure, one day you're in your tank and accidently bump it-you do NOT want that thing budging, especially with a bunch of SPS's glued to it.
And you can definitley frag in the water, I always frag my SPS's underwater. It's just Zoas that it's easiest to frag out of water.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned a Bonsai scape for 3 months before I got my cube but once I got the rock cycled after about 20 WC's in a 32g brute I was too anxious and just piled them up:(

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use epoxy to put some tonga branch to support the ends of the over hangs;)That was my plan anyways:(

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back