Coolest Aquascape/I'm doing it :)

Urban Reef

Coral Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Bonsai tanks are amazing. I am the same way where I just don't have the patience to drill and secure the LR like that...maybe one day!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off if you are going to use rods, don't use acrylic. You should use fiberglass rods. Acrylic rods will get brittle, which may cause failure over time. Second use Sakrete hydraulic cement. Hydraulic cement tends to leach the least out of all the cements.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thats beautiful! look at all the room on the sand bed for plates, chalices, and acans!! i think i might do it!! thanks for the idea DUDE!

Planning on doing something like this for my new 40B. Gonna use Dry rock, and Loctite 5min epoxy to hold it together. Any thoughts?
bonzai-tree-aquascaping.jpg

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of threads on this tank out there, it is one of mt favorites, also I think he has a you tube video. Good luck with your build.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i hate it that i have no artistic skill at all.. I would have never thought of something like this myself. And even if i tried to do it .. i think its gonna look like an animal with one leg in the air.. :sad:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've always liked that tank as well - very original
-yes def use rods - you will need them to support that kind of weight. you can get away without them in an arch but not in an overhang
-yes use cement - i cemented my basic structure of large rock together and it works well (i mixed portland with reef sand to a thick paste, worked great, but need to let it cure for a while in salt water before placing it in the tank.)
-yes use epoxy anywhere you need just a bit more support or add smaller rocks
good luck should look really cool in a 40 b but you dont have the height so you will need to be really creative with the arches to get that bonsai look

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the theory of 1 lb of Live Rock per gallon of water? It is funny all the things you learn as you get more familiar with this hobby.

Tanks like this is awesome, however I think they should be for coral only tanks. I don't think it is fair to the fish, because there is no place to sleep or hide if spooked. But it is alot easier to catch them!

Awesome looking fishtank. As for portland cement, get some 5 minute quick set and those rocks won't be going anywhere! Just remember that cement will always absorb H2O (Hydration) and always be getting harder and stronger. I would let it soak in fresh water first (for strength) because cement likes it alot more than saltwater.

Urban Reef

Coral Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the theory of 1 lb of Live Rock per gallon of water? It is funny all the things you learn as you get more familiar with this hobby.

Tanks like this is awesome, however I think they should be for coral only tanks. I don't think it is fair to the fish, because there is no place to sleep or hide if spooked. But it is alot easier to catch them!

Awesome looking fishtank. As for portland cement, get some 5 minute quick set and those rocks won't be going anywhere! Just remember that cement will always absorb H2O (Hydration) and always be getting harder and stronger. I would let it soak in fresh water first (for strength) because cement likes it alot more than saltwater.

Yeah I remember one LFS telling me 2lbs per gallon. The LR was also $8lb there. BTW they are closed now.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i hate it that i have no artistic skill at all.. I would have never thought of something like this myself. And even if i tried to do it .. i think its gonna look like an animal with one leg in the air.. :sad:

I would build it..it would looks awsome i would get excited come in 20 minutes later and it would be a pile of rocks.

My next tank im going to get alot of putty stuff, glue. and dry rock...and make my first nice looking aquascape ive ever had

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to use cement, epoxy, and superglue gel. I think that will be strong enough b/c the over hangs will only be like 9" max. I e-mailed reefcleaners and he said he would see what he has. I am going to use base rock so I can plan it out of the tank. I am also going to seed the tank with a piece of live rock from my 20g. It's full of holes so my bicolor can hide. I want a prawn goby/shrimp pair and a ywg/shrimp pair. The base will consist of 2 5" or so diameter rocks. Plus I will have that 3lb piece from my other tank. That should be enough for them to find a burrow right? Other than that I am gettin 2 black ice clowns, and maybe maybe, maybe a small Tomini tang. So I think it will be fine with the lack of rock for fish to sleep.

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this was kinda funny. I took this pic a while back saying it was a Bonsai Reef...literally. I wasn't planning on making it a bonsai reef before but now I am haha.
DSC02343.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not to interested in raising teh trees lol. I have just always wanted one and we found a place in Florida that sold them, so I picked one up :) And I am a sucker for sexy aquascapes and I think Bonsai scapes are rather sexy :)

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

juicemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Anyone else ever used the White Portland Cement? Where did you hear about it from Luisra? How much did you use?
people make there own rocks out of it..... just make sure you soak it afterwards because the ph will be high....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back