Coolest fish for 29g FOWLR

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a 29g biocube next to 75g mixed reef. Not sure what to do with it but thinking possibly FOWLR, what are some cool fish that are normally passed over due to picking at corals/smaller fish/inverts ? Might also run it as another mixed reef but weighing my options. Thinking like a lion fish, puffer, or trigger but I’m not sure the tank size and this is a cube vs a 30g that’s got 36” swim length where as this is about 19x19

empty tank set up next to it

image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel, Flame hawk, are a couple that might work better by themselves in a small tank?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a 29g biocube next to 75g mixed reef. Not sure what to do with it but thinking possibly FOWLR, what are some cool fish that are normally passed over due to picking at corals/smaller fish/inverts ? Might also run it as another mixed reef but weighing my options. Thinking like a lion fish, puffer, or trigger but I’m not sure the tank size and this is a cube vs a 30g that’s got 36” swim length where as this is about 19x19

image.jpg
Those fish (minus the trigger long term) are doable as long as you get the dwarf variety. Also, know that water changes will have to happen frequently, as they are messy eaters, and nitrates will be through the roof.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking i might have them all connected, currently running 0 nitrate for months need more bioload per gallon. What about a lionfish in tjis size?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking i might have them all connected, currently running 0 nitrate for months need more bioload per gallon. What about a lionfish in tjis size?
It would be just like old lions at the zoo with tiny cages and no place to roam. If you must, get a dwarf lion!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put any dwarf angel in a tank less than 40g in size unless it's a specimen-only tank being used to raise a young and fragile juv (or it's in quarantine). Dwarf angels are free-roaming grazers that traverse the entire tank, not sessile sand blobs or darty cave dwellers that confine themselves to a small (and fiercly-guarded) territory. Get a pair of orchid dottybacks if you want pretty, active fish that will liven up a tank.

+1 for @KrisReef comment above, posted while I was typing mine.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dwindling down the list. Dwarf lion was knocked off, thinking no on the puffer and trigger is hard no.

is the “flame angelfish” considered a dwarf angel? I am leaning this way, hard.

will upgrade my 75 to a 125, and then I can offload all the coral from 75 into 125 then I can get my trigger or lionfish. 29 is so small lol

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so some triggers get to be like 12” wow maybe just upgrade to an 8 foot tank and skip over the 6 foot length altogether. Lol

coral beauty, is that the same as a flame hawk? Different websites are referring to them with different names but they look indistinguishable

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flameback Angelfish in my 90 gallon. Those are pygmy angels, which are even smaller than dwarfs. From observing how constantly all over the tank he is, I personally wouldn't put one in a biocube.

Unfortunately, the not-so-optimal footprint of the Biocube makes it difficult to pick out fish.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so some triggers get to be like 12” wow maybe just upgrade to an 8 foot tank and skip over the 6 foot length altogether. Lol

coral beauty, is that the same as a flame hawk? Different websites are referring to them with different names but they look indistinguishable
This is a coral beauty:

1659363563795.png

This is a flame hawkfish:

1659363583259.png

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
ask around a Fu Manchu would be great not sure if it would fit in your tank

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Wartskin Angler will be tough but he might be able to go

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back