Coolest fish you've kept or seen

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard Wrasse. He usually don't take food from the water column. He 80% take food from my sun Coral. When the sun Coral are open he knows what's up hahaha

IMG_3616.JPG

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've actually had one of these guys. He was really cool but only lasted about a year. He found a bolt hole and stayed in it all the time but would reach out of his hole like an eel, never come out of the hole completely, to get food from the water column. He just kind of stopped eating and died over the course of a couple of weeks. No real idea why. Wouldn't mind trying one again but it'll be too small for my predatory reef and I think the 300g is going to just plain be too big for him. Here's a shot of one of the rare moments he was out of his hole:

9109944629_fa37d21cfc_b.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've actually had one of these guys. He was really cool but only lasted about a year. He found a bolt hole and stayed in it all the time but would reach out of his hole like an eel, never come out of the hole completely, to get food from the water column. He just kind of stopped eating and died over the course of a couple of weeks. No real idea why. Wouldn't mind trying one again but it'll be too small for my predatory reef and I think the 300g is going to just plain be too big for him. Here's a shot of one of the rare moments he was out of his hole:

9109944629_fa37d21cfc_b.jpg
Great pic!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Empress, that is exactly what they are. I matched up oyster shell halves glued them together for realism, then glued the oysters together into cultches, then arranged them into an artificial oyster reef. Gorilla glue was used and I'm very pleased with the results so far. This tank is a temporary set up while I complete my stand and set up for a larger 100g cubish tank.

This is super cool. I may replicate it when I set up the 300G. But does detritus get stuck in the shells?

Joebat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my profile pick. 20' whale shark while on patrol in the Gulf of Mexico!!!! Coolest fish I've seen, but I don't think that's what you meant. Lol.
I worked on a OSV for years in the Gulf, and your right! The whale shark is by far he coolest fish there is!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Robert!

This is super cool. I may replicate it when I set up the 300G. But does detritus get stuck in the shells?
I guess it's possible, but with enough flow in the tank, but I doubt it's an issue. I don't see much difference between the oyster cultches and some of the intricate live rock coral skeletons available for sale. I'm not growing live corals though, and none live in our Bay, so the ecosystem that I'm emulating is chock full of detritus, which might be a good thing in the future when I try and grow sea grasses.

Another thing to note is that for oyster shells with gaps large enough for any of the fish to enter seem to be free of detritus, simply from fish entering and exiting the structure, which they do all day long. It's really noticeable when one blenny chases another one out of a shell to claim it as its own. It is a constant game with all three species of these fish, territorial disputes over oyster shells and other hiding spots, establishing the pecking order, fighting over food. It's quite entertaining to watch. Even the most picked on fish look healthy and don't seem too bothered by the activity, as if they expect it...no big deal. No ragged fins, damage to flesh or eyes, etc. All this activity keeps detritus from building up in their hiding spots. Crabs and shrimp hide in the holes too, and other critters that eat detritus, so maybe that helps too.

The same thing may also be true with some of the holes between the oysters, fish keeping them somewhat clean.

That said, these tanks are like a huge experiment. My husbandry philosophy and practices might change a bit over time if needed. The goal is to try and duplicate the ecosystem as much as possible to achieve a healthy breeding environment for these fish while still keeping maintenance as low as possible. I will be learning more and more as I go, and as I do, I'll document what I learn here.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Robert!

I guess it's possible, but with enough flow in the tank, but I doubt it's an issue. I don't see much difference between the oyster cultches and some of the intricate live rock coral skeletons available for sale. I'm not growing live corals though, and none live in our Bay, so the ecosystem that I'm emulating is chock full of detritus, which might be a good thing in the future when I try and grow sea grasses.

Another thing to note is that for oyster shells with gaps large enough for any of the fish to enter seem to be free of detritus, simply from fish entering and exiting the structure, which they do all day long. It's really noticeable when one blenny chases another one out of a shell to claim it as its own. It is a constant game with all three species of these fish, territorial disputes over oyster shells and other hiding spots, establishing the pecking order, fighting over food. It's quite entertaining to watch. Even the most picked on fish look healthy and don't seem too bothered by the activity, as if they expect it...no big deal. No ragged fins, damage to flesh or eyes, etc. All this activity keeps detritus from building up in their hiding spots. Crabs and shrimp hide in the holes too, and other critters that eat detritus, so maybe that helps too.

The same thing may also be true with some of the holes between the oysters, fish keeping them somewhat clean.

That said, these tanks are like a huge experiment. My husbandry philosophy and practices might change a bit over time if needed. The goal is to try and duplicate the ecosystem as much as possible to achieve a healthy breeding environment for these fish while still keeping maintenance as low as possible. I will be learning more and more as I go, and as I do, I'll document what I learn here.

Thank you for the insights. What you said totally makes sense. I just feel with the shells being generally flat it creates a perfect platform to glue corals on. And oyster shells are basically all calcium carbonate which is not much different from live rock any ways. I am now a big fan of minimum rock work in the display tank. This maybe the key to creat space for coral growth with the least amount of rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back