Coolest fish you've kept or seen

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't pick 1 so I have a tie. Both are my dragnets. My Spotted Mandarin is always the first one to meet me at the glass and my mated pair of green mandarins are always big love birds. Love em both
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG

I really really want the green mandarin! Do you suggest a pair rather than just one? How difficult are they to keep? Any way to measure and see how many pods are in my tank?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really want the green mandarin! Do you suggest a pair rather than just one? How difficult are they to keep? Any way to measure and see how many pods are in my tank?

Most of the time one is the way to go because it is a little challenging with a pair. They do not always stay together and are difficult to come across on the market.

As for the difficulty. Them as a fish are not hard to keep, it is the eating part that you need to get down. They are VERY picky eaters and getting them to frozen food can be difficult. I fed mine live brine for 3 months before they transferred to frozen. The spotted switched but the pair didn't want to change quickly.

Your pod count are population can be observed when you have your moonlights on, if you look at your rock work you will see them and then you know you have more then enough. Otherwise if you have a fife and see them in their and they look like their a descent size then your population should be good. But like I said if you can get them to frozen food they should have a better shot at living.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue dot jawfish was an awesome addition. Extremely personable, grouchy as can be. He ate outta my hand and would curl up in it if I cupped it. But like all good things, he came to his end when I upgraded tanks and didn't have a cover :-( I now have a cover
dang! That's a bummer. I've learned that same lesson the same way with the same species. They remain my favorite. I actually have a group of three in a 92 gallon corner bowfront. They are amazing to watch interacting. It was fierce the first few hours but they all get along great now.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! That's a bummer. I've learned that same lesson the same way with the same species. They remain my favorite. I actually have a group of three in a 92 gallon corner bowfront. They are amazing to watch interacting. It was fierce the first few hours but they all get along great now.
That's awesome man, if you could get a video, I'd love to see!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of fish that I've purchased, I'd say a molly miller blenny or blue angelfish, although I'd love to have a tank with a queen angel as the star of the tank. Of all of the fish that I've kept though, and I've loved them all, my favorite by far are fish that I've caught, striped blennies, Chasmodes bosquianus (like my avatar), shown in this video:

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Empress, that is exactly what they are. I matched up oyster shell halves glued them together for realism, then glued the oysters together into cultches, then arranged them into an artificial oyster reef. Gorilla glue was used and I'm very pleased with the results so far. This tank is a temporary set up while I complete my stand and set up for a larger 100g cubish tank.

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, it does say they can eat "small" shrimp. I dont have any shrimp at the moment. Anyone know what "small" means? would a cleaner shrimp be in danger? I was thinking of adding a shrimp in the future.

Mine devoured 3 cleaner shrimp and a peppermint. He had to be rehomed after that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back