Had somebody kept segmented blennies(salarias segmentatus)

Common Blevil

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2023
Messages
352
Reaction score
358
Location
Kraków
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that fish online, and it sometimes appears at LFS'. From what i know it's just more colorful relative of a lawnmower (salarias fasciatus), that is smaller. If so, it must appear in the tanks more often, but i see only a few threads(two of which are mine) on english, german and polish forums, and often only the name of the fish mentioned and nothing about it's behaviour/ease of care.
Why isn't it popular? Is it hard to start feeding? I would be glad to hear something about this fish from people that had kept it long term. It is on my wishlist, in case something happens with my beloved tailspot(i bought it a big adult and worried that i will need a replacement in 1-2 years)

2f2eca99f6075a645c85f4f0351cf6d2.jpg
 
I hope it will not happen soon, 'cause i will only buy one if something happens with my tailspot...
 
I've never kept one myself, but I'd imagine that part of the reason they're not popular is as stated below:

"FYI: May nip coral polyps and clam mantles and eat small snails and ornamental shrimp.

Aggressive towards other herbivores in the aquarium and smaller fishes.

Unless there is a sufficient amount of greens this fish will slowly waste away."*

&

"The Segmented Blenny is a perfect candidate for the reef aquarium and is considered reef safe but may nip at the polyps or bases of Acropora sp. and other SPS corals. If the SPS dominated aquarium is not heavily stocked with mature colonies these fish may damage Acropora sp. and Montipora sp. in these displays.

The Segmented Sailfin Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on. "**


Despite it's apparent tendency to nip on corals and other things, though, it's a neat little fish.

*Source:
https://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=398**Source:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2592/?pcatid=2592
 
You should get one and tell us about it
I got one) It is like mini lawnmower, the same vibes and character but 3 times smaller(i have a juvenile). Doesn't eat frozen for now (even tho he's eyeing it every time i feed), but eats algae wafers and algae from the rocks and glass. Cute fish, has a lot of personality and fun behaviour. I hope i will be able to fatten it up and let it grow to it's adult size (4 inches). I'm planning to upgrade, so he will be living in a 35-40 gallon soon.

IMG_20250209_200913.jpg
IMG_20250209_195726.jpg
 
I got one) It is like mini lawnmower, the same vibes and character but 3 times smaller(i have a juvenile). Doesn't eat frozen for now (even tho he's eyeing it every time i feed), but eats algae wafers and algae from the rocks and glass. Cute fish, has a lot of personality and fun behaviour. I hope i will be able to fatten it up and let it grow to it's adult size (4 inches). I'm planning to upgrade, so he will be living in a 35-40 gallon soon.

IMG_20250209_200913.jpg
IMG_20250209_195726.jpg
Unfortunately he jumped out. It is a nice fish, a bit shy at first, but then warms up to you and isn't afraid of your hands. It ate algae from the glass and algae wafers, grazed on shrimp meat. Did not have enough time to teach it eat from the water column, so i fed it food attached to a piece of sps skeleton. They are a bit like bigger salarias sp. aka lawnmowers or starries, but shyer. Takes a lot time for it to not be afraid of you, in that period it sits in the hiding spot a lot and a bit boring.
It is better suited for a smaller tank if you don't want a tailspot or bicolor. Not as active and doesn't swim a lot like a tailspot and not as confident as lawnmower/starry. Need a mature tank with algae and pods.

Overall, it is small, funny, colourful blenny. Would recommend

IMG_20250228_181600.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new