OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is this tank? Can determine which inverts to add. Also, what else is in it? Fish? Corals, Nems?

I hate recommending until I know. Since I run a 210g, 40g and 6g, I know what works where, but need to know your specifics. :)
The tank is 250 gallons. It’s a reef safe with caution tank. I have a copperband, dwarf angels, moorish idol, and a small checkered wrasse.

For inverts, I currently have 3-4 black urchins (not the long spine type).
I have one linkia red starfish but I won’t buy more until my tank has more growth in it.
And I got 3 skunk cleaner shrimps.

Some things high on my list are:

Fighting conchs (can I have more than 1 or will they fight)?

I’m thinking of getting a lot more crabs just for my viewing pleasure. Snails are nice, but I use the urchins for algae removal.

Or will the crabs kill the conchs?

Lol. Help please. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have quite a few conchs. I have over 10 in my 210g. I rarely see them though. Hide under the sand all day. Depends on the crabs as to what they will kill. So many options there. Lots of snails for cleaning the sand and rocks. urchins clean the algae, snails can clean the detritus.

Crabs you can go with emerald/red mithrax, larger halloween hermit, sally lightfoot, porcelain crabs if you have nems or some corals to hide in, I hear arrow crabs can be interesting too (never had one though), decorator, clown, strawberry. Good overview here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/captivating-crustaceans-crabs-for-the-reef-tank.596177/

Few things to look at. I am affraid with that wrasse, the smaller shrimp will have no chance. :)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 250 gallons. It’s a reef safe with caution tank. I have a copperband, dwarf angels, moorish idol, and a small checkered wrasse.

For inverts, I currently have 3-4 black urchins (not the long spine type).
I have one linkia red starfish but I won’t buy more until my tank has more growth in it.
And I got 3 skunk cleaner shrimps.

Some things high on my list are:

Fighting conchs (can I have more than 1 or will they fight)?

I’m thinking of getting a lot more crabs just for my viewing pleasure. Snails are nice, but I use the urchins for algae removal.

Or will the crabs kill the conchs?

Lol. Help please. :)
From what I understand, Fighting Conchs don't actually fight but its a mating ritual between males. So take that as you will lol... Strawberry aka Tiger Conch is also a great option imo. I have one, pretty cool to watch it turn over the sandbed from time to time, and their eyes when they poke out are really interesting.

Serpant or Brittle star is another option I'd recommend, although you won't see them too much, they're usually quite sedentary under the rockwork etc. But outstanding clean up crew members grabbing uneaten food and detritus. Also they are Ophiuroidea, so fairly easy to keep.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back