Coolest inverts for show tank?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, learn proper grammar.
What was the major grammar error so compelling you needed to point it out? I read the OP's post one time and understood exactly what he said.

I once kept a candy cane sea cucumber. It looked exactly like this pic but had better colors. One by one, it would insert its appendages into its mouth, eating the stuff it caught. It grew and was doing great until the filter tank burst. BTW, it was a skimmerless system-not sure how well one would do in water that's been stripped clean.

1625919687289.png

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sea apple that was incredibly cool, but the other poster was right---all sea cucumbers pose the very real risk of nuking your tank. I was very lucky to be home and noticed my sea apple looking very sick. Put him in my QT where he expired the next day in an explosion. He would've killed everything in my DT.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and I want to fill it with cool inverts because family and guests love them. Plus I think they are really cool too.

Only requirement is that they aren’t tiny, nocturnal, or hide a lot. I want to see them!

So far I got snails, 2 Halloween crabs, and 3 skunk cleaners.
Red serpant star

Attachments

• 20210627_134324.jpg
    20210627_134324.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 48

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pom pom crab, porcelain crab, pistol shrimp....

anything and everything, there all so cool.
Pom poms are so cool. But the real treat is just getting to see them occasionally. I see mine about once every week or two. In a way it’s a treat to see it every time I do. I’ve gone months without seeing it also.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked my old pincushion and skunk. Pincushion was the size of a kids softball
20200623_134949.jpg
20190925_191007.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pistol to pair with my goby.....gotta say it’s been fun watching him turn the tank into his personal construction site.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the major grammar error so compelling you needed to point it out? I read the OP's post one time and understood exactly what he said.

I once kept a candy cane sea cucumber. It looked exactly like this pic but had better colors. One by one, it would insert its appendages into its mouth, eating the stuff it caught. It grew and was doing great until the filter tank burst. BTW, it was a skimmerless system-not sure how well one would do in water that's been stripped clean.

1625919687289.png
One of these sent me to the ER.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was climbing a leather coral and I picked it off, holding it for 30 seconds or so, whilst looking for a spot to place it. Guess it "slimed" me, which resulted in hives, rash over my entire body. Went through many antihistamines and went to ER about a week later, as symptoms were not subsiding. What is it they say about brightly coloured creatures again? The chemical defence was strong with this critter!
Blood tests, steroid/antihistamine drip and a prescription, which cleared it but had a contact allergy to live rock, corals, etc. for 10 years or so. Over the last several months, I seem to be no longer allergic.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coco worm is also very cool. I'd get another but it would be end up being expensive fish food.

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my conchs. They are constantly moving, constantly feeding and if they climb and fall, the flip upright is hilarious! I also have a chitin that is cool to look at. He’s a great algae eater.

Df1577

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy harlequin shrimp but the ones I've maintained long term went through a good sized chocolate chip star every two weeks. This can get sorta expensive so I wouldn't do it unless you are prepared to spend the money on stars. Anemone porcelain crabs are also fantastic, and urchins and conch are really fun in terms of clean up crew.

Df1577

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also forgot to mention, I always add a candy cane pistol with a goby to my tanks and harlequin brittle stars. My pom pom crab is another great one but constantly hides, luckily his cave is right up against the glass.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and I want to fill it with cool inverts because family and guests love them. Plus I think they are really cool too.

Only requirement is that they aren’t tiny, nocturnal, or hide a lot. I want to see them!

So far I got snails, 2 Halloween crabs, and 3 skunk cleaners.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp. I love the pair I have. Expensive to feed starfish every week, but so cool.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is this tank? Can determine which inverts to add. Also, what else is in it? Fish? Corals, Nems?

I hate recommending until I know. Since I run a 210g, 40g and 6g, I know what works where, but need to know your specifics. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back